L-Shaped DIY Outdoor Bench

$130

How to build this large L-shaped DIY Outdoor Bench for less than $130. This bench is mostly constructed with corral boards and 4x4's.
The bench was awarded 1st runner up in the IG Builders Challenge, Season 3. The designed was inspired by Ana White's Large Porch Bench Plans.
Follow the link for full details.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
I started by constructing the frame with my Kreg Jig (aff). The size is based on my space and needs, but can easily be adjusted to your space.+
l shaped diy outdoor bench
The arms are notched around the back posts and attached with pocket holes at the back posts.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
At the front posts, the arms are attached with wood glue and my brad nailer. The seat boards were dry fitted to ensure a perfect fit.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
The back is attached to another board that was screwed into the posts. A rabbet was made on the shelf that runs along the bench back. The rabbet allows the bench back and it's shelf to support each other across the 8' long width.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
The back is made of 7 boards of varying lengths with geometric cutouts to add style. The boards are connected by pocket holes.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
The finished bench is extra durable for our muddy little boys that like to stand on the furniture, but still stylish.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
The 6" wide arms double as shelves.
Taking a break after a long build with my littlest helper.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
Detail shots.
l shaped diy outdoor bench
Be sure to follow me here to see my latest projects.

Stephanie Abbott

• Jackie

I would like to try this, but may I ask, how heavy is the finished project? I rent and would like to be able to take with me whenever we move
    • Kris Freeman

what is the website for the detailed instructions. It looks amazing and I think it would be cheaper than a sitting wall with a back. thanks, Kris

• Michelle Hughey-Scheitle

What’s the color of the stain you used?

• Bryan's Workshop

Wow! Beautiful and stylish! Very very nice!
  • User

I think this would be perfect to make for my indoor living area! It would definitely hold up better than my current hand-me-down-should-have-just-been-donated-or-thrown-out furniture!