L-Shaped DIY Outdoor Bench

$130

How to build this large L-shaped DIY Outdoor Bench for less than $130. This bench is mostly constructed with corral boards and 4x4's.
The bench was awarded 1st runner up in the IG Builders Challenge, Season 3. The designed was inspired by Ana White's Large Porch Bench Plans.
Follow the link for full details.
I started by constructing the frame with my Kreg Jig (aff). The size is based on my space and needs, but can easily be adjusted to your space.+
The arms are notched around the back posts and attached with pocket holes at the back posts.
At the front posts, the arms are attached with wood glue and my brad nailer. The seat boards were dry fitted to ensure a perfect fit.
The back is attached to another board that was screwed into the posts. A rabbet was made on the shelf that runs along the bench back. The rabbet allows the bench back and it's shelf to support each other across the 8' long width.
The back is made of 7 boards of varying lengths with geometric cutouts to add style. The boards are connected by pocket holes.
The finished bench is extra durable for our muddy little boys that like to stand on the furniture, but still stylish.
The 6" wide arms double as shelves.
Taking a break after a long build with my littlest helper.
Detail shots.
Be sure to follow me here to see my latest projects.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Stephanie Abbott

• Jackie
    Jackie

I would like to try this, but may I ask, how heavy is the finished project? I rent and would like to be able to take with me whenever we move
    • Kris Freeman
      Kris Freeman

what is the website for the detailed instructions. It looks amazing and I think it would be cheaper than a sitting wall with a back. thanks, Kris

• Michelle Hughey-Scheitle
    Michelle Hughey-Scheitle

What’s the color of the stain you used?

• Bryan's Workshop
    Bryan's Workshop

Wow! Beautiful and stylish! Very very nice!
  • User
    User

I think this would be perfect to make for my indoor living area! It would definitely hold up better than my current hand-me-down-should-have-just-been-donated-or-thrown-out furniture!