How To Update Old Cabinet Doors

In our basement, we have a built in cabinet/counter area that used to be part of a kitchenette that we ripped out during our basement renovation. We decided to keep this built in, because I thought it would be perfect for a snack/beverage area to use when entertaining. The only problem is that it was painted the ugliest shades of brown and tan that you could find, the cabinet doors were old and had some wear, and the hardware was outdated. But I was going to change this!
First, I removed the cabinet doors and the hardware, which I am also replacing with modern ones.

Next, I wiped everything down really well with soapy water and let dry. Since I plan on painting the basements walls I pale grey, I decided to go with a darker grey for the built ins to add contrast. I shopped my stash to find a Behr sample I had purchased for $.50 on the clearance paint rack from Home Depot. (always check the paint section!)
Lay the O'verlays on a flat surface and use a utility knife to cut them to size. It was pretty easy to cut them and you can easily sand the rough edges with a sanding block or handheld electric sander.
Once the pieces were cut to size, I measured and marked where I wanted them to fit on the cabinet doors using painters tape. I put several dabs of Liquid Nails on the back of the panels to secure them to the doors.
Once everything was dry, I replaced the hardware and hung the cabinet doors. I cannot believe what a difference the paint and decorative panels made to this built in. It went from a piece that blended in to the wall to a statement piece!

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• JoLeen Bolton

Did you do the doors on the upper cabinet to match the bottom?
    • Rose

Why did you removed the doors.

• Starr Ortiz

Great job!! what is the name of color used for cabinets & brand? Sorry in advance if this question was already answered so many questions and comments to go through.

• Starr Ortiz