Trash Cart Turned Bar Cart

$30
1 Day

Those of you who are old enough remember those blue metal carts that every school had used to roll around their projectors. I found this "AV" cart in the trash and knew I could bring it back to life
I began by removing any stickers, then I sanded the whole cart with medium grit sandpaper. I then washed the entire cart with a mild soap and water.
I primed the cart with a Rust-Oleum spray paint close to the color I wanted as the finished color. There was a lot of rust on the bottom so I wanted to seal the rust.
I removed the wheels and spray painted the entire cart copper.
As you can see, I didn't paint the middle of the trays because I wanted to add cork to the surfaces so items wouldn't slip around when the cart was moving. I used rolls of cork. You could use cork tiles too.
I applied Liquid Nails to the surface and laid the cork on top.
To finish off the edges, I glued cording/rope using Tacky Glue.
I added baskets to the center shelf. I did not glue them down, they are removable.
This cart can be used inside....
or out. I attached a piece of pvc piping to one side using zip ties and inserted a light weight umbrella to keep the sun off of the snacks.
I know my family will be using this cart a lot.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Rust-Oleum primer  (Lowe's)
  • Copper spray paint  (Michael's)
  • Liquid Nails  (Lowe's)

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas

• Mary Ann
    Mary Ann

O you have to repain't it often due to rust? I live near the ocean and I am. Or sure it would last a year here.
    • Alicia W
      Alicia W

Not if you use Rust-Oleum which is specifically for items that have rust or will rust.
  • Ellen King
    Ellen King

What do you use on the cork for when a beverage sweats and the cork gets wet?

• Giselle
      Giselle

Jennifer is correct. I have cork coasters (from ikea I think) and they are very durable.

• Diana knapp
    Diana knapp

That is an awesome idea! .....especially the pvc umbrella part..love it!

• Patsy47
    Patsy47

gotta love those old carts.....i can't believe folks throw them out instead of a simple re- do like you did...well done! and so bloody useful too!!😃