Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

Refinished Table and Shou Sugi Ban

$30

I decided to spruce up one of my coffee tables that I refinished a while ago. Not that I did not like my own work or anything, but I am extremely prone to decorating my house. I guess that is one of the things that makes me a Zest it Up girl!  I hope this furniture upcylce project inspires you!

refinished table and shou sugi ban
This was the original refinish job that I did on my coffee table.  You can check out the makeover  here. 
refinished table and shou sugi ban
My first step was to sand off all the wax and paint.  I was more than done with red in my house, and I was hankering to do some more Shou Sugi Ban: the Japanese art of burning wood for a unique finish. I used a Propane Torch kit from Ace Hardware to burn the wood.
refinished table and shou sugi ban
With the tabletop surface shaping up exactly as I imagined, you will see that I decided to even recoat the metal frame with some cool textured metallic spray paint, as well.  I wanted an entirely new look!
refinished table and shou sugi ban
Since I have three kids and a husband who can be a tad rough on furniture,  I decided to use Spar Varnish on my coffee table.  Honestly, I am a bigger fan of using a clear, soft wax on a Shou Sugi Ban surface, but I needed a truly water resistant surface that would stand up to countless spills and sweating glasses (ummm I do own coasters, but habits are habits I am afraid   ).
refinished table and shou sugi ban
I gave the bones of the table a generous coat of spray paint! I like using Rustoleum Hammered because it hides any imperfections! Let's face it, when you have a thrift store find, you are bounds for few knicks here and there
refinished table and shou sugi ban
Make sure the surface is nice and protected! We don't like water damage/stains!
refinished table and shou sugi ban
I love the texture of this coffee table! It's the perfect home decor piece!
refinished table and shou sugi ban
Look at that wood finish
refinished table and shou sugi ban
We hope you feel inspired! We love home decor!

Cheers,
Chanda

Zest it Up