How to Repair a Large Crack in Plaster

1 material
$75-90
In preparation for redoing out upstairs playroom, I repaired a large crack in our plaster (we’re in an old home).
When Repairing a Crack in Plaster you can essentially thinkof this task as being broken down into two parts.
1. Securing Loose Plaster
2. Finishing the Repair.
For this project, I used a product called *Big Wally’sPlaster Magic* and I finished almost as if I would if I were repairing drywall. (maybe some helpful info for that too.)
I made a video and had great fun working with my 8year old daughter Eva (again). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEqGJHUyr0) You can find out more about the back story by viewing our site.

One Additional Note: when working with older plaster walls lead & even asbestos is of course a possibility. be safe and work cautiously.

Thanks and hope it helps. ~jb
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, How to Repair a Large Crack in Plaster
How to Repair a Large Crack in Plaster
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Using Big Wally s Plaster Magic
Using Big Wally's Plaster Magic.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Start by Drilling 5 16 holes 1 or 2 inches from the crack and about 3 inches apart Use a Masonry Bit
Start by Drilling 5/16" holes 1 or 2 inches from the crack and about 3 inches apart. Use a Masonry Bit.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Apply adhesive using a caulk gun squirting into holes and cleaning up with a sponge Tip cut only the tip of the tub off
Apply adhesive using a caulk gun squirting into holes and cleaning up with a sponge. Tip: cut only the tip of the tub off.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Installing plaster washers using a 2 inch drywall screws into some of the holes
Installing plaster washers using a 2" inch drywall screws into some of the holes.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Let dry overnight and remove washers
Let dry overnight and remove washers.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Using a 4 drywall knife fill the crack and holes
Using a 4" drywall knife, fill the crack and holes.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Use a mixable powdered drywall compound Many actually contain plaster and will shrink less
Use a mixable powdered drywall compound. Many actually contain plaster and will shrink less.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Install a Crackstop Mesh over the entire affected area
Install a Crackstop Mesh over the entire affected area.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, Skim Coat and Sand Lightly 2 coats are recommended
Skim Coat and Sand Lightly. 2 coats are recommended.
how to repair a large crack in plaster, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to, wall decor, clean and prime
clean and prime.

• See Related Article. Linked
Building Moxie

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 16 comments
Next