The Best Inexpensive and Non-Toxic DIY Deck Cleaner

$10

It’s the beginning of summer…time to start inviting some friends over to hang out on the deck!

Click HERE to see all my deck and patio decorating ideas.

The only problem? The deck is covered in dirt and algae.

This winter was particularly cool and damp around here…perfect algae growing conditions! As you can see, the deck was definitely in need of some cleaning.

Over the years, I have tried lots of different store-bought cleaning products. Some work better than others, but almost all of them are really hard on the plants around my deck...not to mention toxic for my pets.

I finally stumbled across a homemade deck cleaner that is safe for plants, animals, and kids, doesn't cost very much, and actually works really well!

Oxygen bleach uses oxygen ions to break apart the dirt which means no harmful chemicals are involved at all...and it's inexpensive. I have a fairly large deck, and it takes about 2 cups of Oxi-Clean to do the whole thing.

To make the solution, mix about 1/2 cup of oxygen bleach with 2 gallons of warm water (if you have a large deck like I do, you may need more than one batch).

Before starting to clean, soak the deck with the hose. I usually do about 20 square feet at a time so that the water doesn't completely dry before I get to cleaning it.

Then use a deck brush to scrub the solution onto the wood. You can see the grime coming off already!

Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse the deck off with the hose. It's really that easy!

If your deck is really dirty (like mine was), there may be a few spots with really tough stains that need a repeat treatment.

This is what my deck looks like now that it's done...a big improvement over where I started.

Click HERE to get all of the step-by-step pictures and instructions for this DIY deck cleaner.

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Wanda @ From House To Home

• Lillian
    Lillian

Can I use this oxiclean with a power washer so I don't have to scrub with the brush.

• Shirley
      Shirley

I used a power washer with no cleaner and it worked fine. I'm sure it might have been even better with cleaner.

• Laura Ledner
    Laura Ledner

will it work on painted deck?

• Susan
    Susan

Is the Oxiclean and oxygen bleach the same thing in your directions?