How to Upcycle Old Jeans to Make Unique Patchwork Seat Pads

$10
1 Day

My families old jeans are recycled into projects around the home. I love all the different shades of blue that denim comes in.

I had some dining chairs where the seat pads were a bit grubby and boring so I wanted to make some new covers for them. Instead of just covering the seat pads in denim, I decided to use a hexagon patchwork.

The hexagons really showed off the lovely different shades of denim that the jeans came in.

This sewing project is a lot easier than it seems and I did do it all by hand you don't need a sewing machine for this. However, it isn't a quick project, it's one to do slowly whilst binge watching box sets on Netflix.
That's the chair before, they are good chairs but the seat pads were a bit grubby and boring for me.
The first thing I did was gather all my old jeans for upcycling. This project is great for using up scraps. (Having 3 teenage boys in the house there is no shortage of old jeans.)
The hexagon patchwork method I used is called English Paper Piecing. If you haven't heard of English Paper Piecing its a lot easier than it sounds. There are some links to good youtube videos on my blog that explain it well.

Using double sided sticky tape, stick a paper hexagon to the wrong side of the denim. Then using a rotary cutter and board cut around the paper hexagon allowing for a 1/2" seam.
The next thing to do is to tack down the seam of the hexagon around the paper hexagon. I actually do this without sewing through the paper.
Once you have a big pile of denim hexagon patches you can start sewing them together.
To sew the patches together I use a small running stitch along the edge sewing to edges together at a time. I just carry on in a random pattern until I had a piece of patchwork big enough to cover my chair.
Once you are happy with your patchwork design. You simply remove the paper hexagons.
No, I didn't run out of denim. I decided to add a bit of quirkiness to each chair by adding in 3 random patterned fabric patches onto each seat pad
I unscrewed my seat pad from the chair and then removed the old cover.
The denim patchwork was then attached to the seat pad with a staple gun.
I love how my dining chairs have turned out. They look so much better than before, I love all the different shades of denim. I also enjoyed making them it was nice having something to sew whilst watching the TV in the evening.

I love upcycling in denim especially for the home you can see a collection of my denim crafts here.

18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Tin32656140

If I use those papers in a quilt, will the papper bunch up and be bad when washed?

I love the chair idea!

• Tin32656140

I love the chair idea!

• Pinkflmgo626

Those are really cute! And unique. Are you saying here that you hand-stitched all those together? I’m thinking I might want to use a wide zigzag on the sewing machine. Had you considered that?

• Pinkflmgo626

I’m impressed that you did that. Still this is one of the cutest ideas I think I’ve ever seen. Thank you for sharing!

• Tiena Nobles

I love your chair seats!! What a fun idea!

• SpudBread

I have done someting similar for dining chairs-- exept I make removable stretch-encased elastic covers (like a toilet seat cover). Totally washable, slip-cover style easily changed, for seasons, holidays, and/or decor changes. Made them to match table runners, table cloths, napkins, window drapery panels etc. Completely coordinated room decor!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

That all sounds fabulous. Even though these aren't removable I spray them with Scotch Guard to protect them from spills.