A.V. Does What
A.V. Does What
  • Brooklyn, NY

How To Revamp Your Ikea Dresser With Paint

1 Material
$20

I am in the slow process of giving my guest room a new look and I am starting with the accent pieces. It just seems easy that way for me. This is an old ikea dresser that I transformed with Decoart Maxx Gloss paint.
Watch the video above for all the nitty gritty or dig into the step by step instructions.
klnjl
Since the wood was already raw no need to sand nor prime. You do want to remove the drawers from the dresser and detach the knobs from the drawers.
klnjl
I used Decoart Maxx Gloss paint for a high gloss finish. Shake well before using. This color is Sapphire.
klnjl
Using a 2" brush, "follow the grain" of your dresser and paint in thin coats. Let it dry between each coat.
klnjl
As your dresser is drying it is time to work on the drawers! I thought the white (Fine China) would be a nice contrast with the blue. I also spray painted the wooden knobs with Rustoleum Bright Coat in Gold for some additional nautical realness!
klnjl
As tempting as it may seem to paint all over the place don't forget painting in one direction prevents streaks.
klnjl
Let all your pieces dry COMPLETELY before you reassemble 8 hours to overnight should be suffice. Some gold spray painted seashells really gave it a luxe feeling. Not bad for an Ikea find.

Want to see more of my DIYs? Make sure you visit my blog, Avdoeswhat.com and subscribe to my Youtube Channel!

• Paint  (Decoart)
A.V. Does What

• Deborah Kinney

Where did you purchase the Max Gloss from?

• Jjqq

Hi--I wondered if you used a primer before painting - I have never heard of Max Gloss before, but the result is wonderful-dresser looks great!

• A.V. Does What

Luckily since it is raw wood I didn't have to. The Maxx Gloss is from Decoart! Thanks for watching.

• A.l22713976

We're can we buy Max gloss paint. In Canada.