Seashore Modern Art

$1

This past summer, we went to the beach for a few days and I found a large piece of sea sponge. Large for the North Carolina coast anyway. I picked it up and tossed it in the car for our ride back home.

I propped it on the bookcase until I could decide what to do with it. I thought about incorporating into the shell mirror. It was too large for that.
seashore modern art
Photo courtesy BarefootAffairs.com
Just an ordinary piece of sea sponge picked up while walking on the beach glued to a marble base.
seashore modern art
Photo courtesy BarefootAffairs.com
The base is 5" x 7" and I used Loctite glue. Today, I'd use E6000. I've had no problem with the Loctite, but the E6000 is my go-to for everything.
seashore modern art
Photo courtesy BarefootAffairs.com
I stopped in a granite countertop warehouse and planned to purchase a small scrap to make my base. They graciously cut me the size I wanted from a scrap, polished the edges, and wouldn't let me pay. I will return to them for my countertops! A piece of wood or wood plaque purchased from Hobby Lobby or any craft store, painted in your color preference, would work, too.

Before gluing the sponge to the base, I flipped it over and added 4 silicone pads to protect my furniture.
seashore modern art
Photo courtesy BarefootAffairs.com
To dust, I just wipe gently around it. I've also sat it in the shower and rinsed it off with cold water. Let dry in tub.

Come follow us at BarefootAffairs.com for more ideas to make your life better, easier, lovelier!

• Marble base  (Countertop warehouse)
  • Sea sponge  (found at beach)
  • Loctite glue  (Home Depot)