Free Recycled Concrete Fire Pit

$0

One of my goals this summer was to build a fire pit in my backyard. I looked at lots of DIY options on Pinterest and thought that I would make one from concrete paver stones.
I started planning out my project, thinking I would need 36 concrete pavers from the home improvement store, sand to make a base and construction adhesive to stick the whole thing together.
I was going to dig into the ground and make a completely level base for the pavers. Then, I realized I was completely overthinking this whole thing.
I remembered that there were several piles of broken concrete over on a nearby field on our farm. If I could haul it back to our yard then I could just arrange them into a circle to make the fire pit.
We used our tractor to haul large pieces of concrete over to my back yard.
We arranged them in a circle and stacked them about 3 rows high. I used some large stones from the garden to fill in holes in the pit.
Free concrete chunks can be found all the time on Craigslist from people who have done a renovation or construction project. If you have a truck and some muscles you can easily make a free fire pit.
finished project ready for a bonfire!

• Concrete pieces  (old construction)
  • Rocks  (garden)

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Sandy North
    Sandy North

i found this on google..so it may be ok?
    Best Answer: You have heard of fireplaces and barbeques exploding, but it is not from concrete, it is from concrete that has not dried completely.

If you make a fire pit or anything exposed to high heat of concrete or stone and morter, you must not use it for at *least* 1 week. This allows the moisture in the concrete to evaporate.

Think of it like this: If concrete is dry on the outside, to maybe a depth of 1/2 inch, but the concrete deeper than 1/2 inch is moist, and it is exposed to high temperature, the moisture in the concrete is going to turn to steam. Steam occupies more space than the water that it took to create the steam. Thus, kaboom!

Rocks won't explode, but if I were making a barbeque, I would make it out of high temperature fire brick, with concrete morter. I would let the concrete cure for *two weeks*, just to be on the safe side. THEN, and only then, would I make a fire in the barbecue.

Hope this helps.
  • Jennifer Lovil Taylor
    Jennifer Lovil Taylor

I did this in our backyard and put a grate in the middle to put the wood on and it works fine!