$40 Couch Flip With Rustoleum Chalk Paint

$56

I have always wanted to try to paint a piece of furniture with chalk paint. I did this couch out of necessity. It took me about 8 hours. I have 2 beautiful labs who love to snuggle up while we're watching T.V. This is my third couch and the boys are only 4! No more new couches!
I started by giving it a good vacuum. It was very sunny today so my son and I brought it outside. I lay the tarp because it can get a little messy as the paint is diluted.
I began by mixing Rustoleum's cocoa chalk paint with water - 1/2 paint to 1/2 water ratio and applied with a regular brush using vertical strokes that followed the pattern in the fabric. The chalk paint is about $28 here in Canada at the Home Depot, it's probably much cheaper in the States. The entire couch took 2 cans to complete. I was amazed at what great coverage this product has!
Once the chalk paint was dry, I did a gentle sanding. Most chalk paints want you to apply a wax finish as this one did. I didn't want wax issues with my puppy fur. I used 5 cans of Minwax Polycrylic spray to seal the chalk paint. I waited an hour between coats. I just love the end result. It is a little rough as I probably could have sanded more but because the couch was worn I didn't want to damage the fabric. The boys haven't sat on it yet as they don't care for its new smell.
The boys.

• Rustoleum Chalk Paint x 2  (Home Depot)
  • 5 cans of Minwax Polycrylic  (Home Depot)

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home