DIY Rope Hanging Shelves

$25

Do you ever shop online and see something you just love and then see the price?!! Your heart sinks and you think, I just can't bring myself to pay that! Or maybe you want it really bad but you know your husband would kill you for spending that much! A similar situation happened to my sister in law a little while back. But instead of being discouraged, she gave me a call! "Dawnya", she said. "Do you think you could make me these awesome shelves I saw today online?" Of course I was up for the challenge! She sent me a picture and I went to work. The good news is, they were easy! You are going to love them and with these simple instructions, you can make your own too! Let's get started!
diy rope hanging shelves
First I went to Home Depot for supplies. I purchased the straightest 12 foot long 1" x 8" pine board I could find. I had the nice young man who worked there cut it into 3 even pieces, 4' long for me. Yeah, that eliminated a step for me, and they cut it FOR FREE!
diy rope hanging shelves
I also picked up some stain and some rope while I was there.
diy rope hanging shelves
I measured 1 1/2 from each corner and marked the spot with a pencil.
diy rope hanging shelves
Next, I drilled holes and used my router and with the round over bit to take the sharp edges off all the sides.
diy rope hanging shelves
I stained all three boards on both sides and let them dry overnight.
diy rope hanging shelves
I cut 2 sections of about 12' of rope. I took one end of each of the ropes and wrapped it with electrical tape so it would be easy to thread. I threaded one rope through 2 holes on the end the board I wanted to be the top shelf. I measured out about 3 1/2' of slack that I would need to hang it. This creates a loop at the top. Then I tied a knot under each corner of the shelf for support. The most difficult part was making the knots even.
If you want a bigger space between your shelves, just cut the rope longer.
It may take some adjusting of the knots to get your shelves to sit nice and even. This really was the hardest part of the entire project. Just have a little patience and you will get there.
diy rope hanging shelves
Now your shelves are ready to hang. You could hang your shelves any way you like. I chose these cute knobs I found at Hobby Lobby.
diy rope hanging shelves
Just use dry wall anchors to hang them so that you have enough support to hold up your shelves.
diy rope hanging shelves
And you're done!
Don't you love the finished product?

Happenings of a Housewife

• Nan Bonear

& Yes..i too would Love to know how the knobs are mounted on the wall?
    • Nan Bonear

Thank You....i loved your idea here so much i got all the 'ingredients' to make 2, except the knobs...going to do it myself..but im still debating over the knobs...might go with the old glass diamond ones i found on Amazon...
  • Trena Herman

Instead of the knots could you use a round piece of would with a hole in it . Put the rope through the hole. That would seem to take away the trouble of trying to get them all even using the knots.
    • Terese

Would a would chuck would . . . . .OR Wood a Woodchuck wood?
  • Kellie Mayday

What size are your knobs? Smaller than a doorknob, but larger than a kitchen cabinet knob?

• Happenings of a Housewife

The knob itself is 1” across. The backing and knob put together is 3”. The actual knob is about the same size as a kitchen cabinet knob. 🙂