$200 Bright and Cheery Laundry Room Makeover

$200

I spend a ton of time in the laundry room. I know you can relate! My hope was that by sprucing up our laundry room, it would make washing our towels and socks just a bit more tolerable.

When we moved in, the laundry room was nice enough, but also pretty builder basic, if you will. Laminate flooring, a strange brownish-greenish-red laminate countertop, along with white and cream cabinets (Seriously, who does that?!).

Was it absolutely the worst laundry room I’ve ever seen? Nope. Did it feel kinda sterile and impersonal? Absolutely. And that’s why I set out to give this space a budget-friendly makeover.

Here's a list of the projects I tackled as part of this makeover:

• Painted the cabinets using leftover Annie Sloan chalk paint that I initially purchased for a different project
  • Painted the ugly laminate countertops using chalkboard paint (it was SUCH an easy process, and 9 months later the cabinets still look awesome)
  • Wallpapered the back of our upper cabinets with removable wallpaper (I used this lovely gray and white trellis wallpaper, which I purchased on Amazon)
  • Installed new vinyl peel-and-stick tile over the old linoleum (here are my very honest thoughts on using peel-and-stick tile)
  • Figured out a way to hide the unsightly washer and dryer hookups that were previously in plain view (thank you, $15 shower tension rod!)

All right, ready to see the boring "before" photo?

And here's what the space looked like after my $200 makeover:
So much brighter, and far more fun than the "before!"

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Kate Decorates

• Bryan's Workshop

Awesome!! Your laundry room is bigger than my entire kitchen.  I love your color choices.
    • Kate Decorates

Thank you, Bryan! Haha....I know, I am VERY lucky that I had such a big space to work with. In my last home, our washer and dryer were literally tucked into a closet. Moving and getting this large of a space was quite the nice change!

• Beth

Looks great! I love how thoughtfully designed it is- especially the trellis wallpaper in the cabinets!
    • Kate Decorates

Thank you so much, Beth! The removable wall paper was much easier to work with than I thought, although I will say I used an entire roll for just the backs of the cabinets. So lesson learned: Always buy more than you think you need. :) But overall I'm thrilled with how it turned out!