Distressed Finish Farmhouse Bed

1 Material
$20

Our daughter really wanted to make the bedroom at her new apartment look nice, so she asked her dad (we call him Mr. DIY) to make her a Farmhouse Bed. He dropped all his other projects and got right on it. You can see how we built it on a previous post on Hometalk or you can just do a Google search with "DIY Design Fanatic How To Make A Farmhouse Bed".This post will show you the finished bed and how it looks in her room.
After Mr. DIY built the bed it looked like this. Our daughter wanted a distressed finish. so I created a few samples for her pick from.
These are the samples that she chose. The left is Jacobean Stain by MinWax with a white washed paint over it. The 2nd sample is Driftwood stain by Rustoleum with a little of the Jacobean stain mixed in with white washed paint over it. The right sample is no stain with white washed paint over the unfinished wood.
She chose the light stain, so I applied the stain to the entire bed, except for the inside cross beams.
After the stain, I applied several coats of a thinned out paint.
I applied thin coats until it looked right. I then distressed the paint and applied a coat of water based poly on it.
And, here's the finished bed in the bedroom of her new apartment.

• Driftwood Stain, Jacobean Stain, Signature Ultra White Paint in Satin  (Lowes)

Diy Design Fanatic

• Barb Verbos

Does she (and you!) have any idea how lucky you are to have a dad like that? Those of us with Mr. NO DIY skills are always jealous of these type projects. It looks fabulous!
    • Diy Design Fanatic

I know how lucky I am that he's my husband  I design things and he builds them! We're renovating a little mountain cottage too... We're in the middle of a kitchen reno. Hope you'll stop by my blog. Sorry ladies, I can't rent him out just yet...the project list is too long!