Use Celery to Make a Beautiful Fall Pillow

$8

If you are looking for something totally different to do this Fall with paint, look no further! Grab some celery from your fridge and I promise you, it will be the best “paint brush” you have used in a long time.
The last time I was at IKEA, I grabbed a couple of these plain, white pillow covers to make some Fall pillows for my Living Room. I wanted the pillows to be colourful and pretty but not overly busy.
To make the Fall flowers on the pillow covers, I used celery to do some stamping.   Start by cutting of the end of a celery stalk a few finger widths from the end.
I put a wide elastic around it once it was cut just to make sure the pieces stayed in place.   Since this was going to be a Fall pillow, I used some red, yellow and orange paint for the flowers and brown for the vines. See my favourite Fall project from last year here...
To blend the colours together, I used a small paint brush to add the paint to the celery end.  
I started my design with a flower in the corner that had all three colours and then made others from there.
To make the design a little fuller, add some vines and small hand painted flowers.
I finished my pillow off with the word "fall".  It was printed on a sheet of paper and then traced onto the pillow cover with a sheet of graphite paper.   You can find directions and details about the tracing process here... 
Who knew that something in your fridge could make such a beautiful piece for your home?!

So pretty and even though I am not ready for summer to be over... this makes me want to start decorating for Fall.

To see more pictures from this project, visit the original post on the Recreated Designs website with the link below...

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Recreated Designs

• Debora Marie Rivera

If something is spilled on it may it be put in the wash or may it be spot treated?
    • Recreated Designs

Hi Laura, I just used regular paint. Any chalk, milk or latex paint will work beautifully on fabric.

• Laura

Did you use fabric paint? Can I use regular craft paint?

• Recreated Designs

Hi Laura, I just used regular paint. You don't need paint specific to fabric. Any latex, chalk or milk paint will work fine. Have fun!

• Joanie

Your pillow is real pretty.........Did ya know that end root....you can re-root and grow another stalk of celery? Oh yeah! Just sit in water and watch it grow.......until planting time. Trust me.....I've done it!!

• Recreated Designs

What a great idea Joanie! I will have to try that. I only have balconies but I have lots of pots that I can plant it in that are deep. Thanks!

• Mcgypsy9

I really really love this and the way they turned out is just gorgeous! I froze the end from celery the last time I bought it so I would have it at hand when needed. I Can’t wait to try this!

• Recreated Designs

Thanks so much! That is a great idea to freeze it for when you need it! I will have to do that the next time I buy some celery. Thanks for the tip.

• Melinda Record

So clever with beautiful results. Thank you for sharing!