An Easy Ceiling Fixture Fix

$3

We've all seen these boring ceiling fixtures. Maybe in a century from now, they'll be deemed "retro" and be in vogue, but in the here and now, they're just plain blah!
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
Whether they're square or round, these ceiling fixtures need a serious upgrade.
Here's a really easy idea that takes no time to do and will give your fixture a style boost.
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
I started with a 15-inch silver-coloured metal fruit bowl I found at a dollar store and gave it a coat of white spray paint. In retrospect, I probably would have chosen a different colour for contrast, as the ceiling is also white, but it's not like it can't be changed.
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
I chose this wire bowl because the open circular pattern created a perfect center for attaching it to the light fixture.
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
The only other thing you need is a 1-inch metal washer.
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
Now you just have to attach your new shade onto the post of the light fixture through the middle of the fruit basket. Add the metal washer next to the new shade and use the cap that held the old shade in place to secure the new one. The washer will ensure that your new shade doesn't get the wobbles.
refresh a ceiling fixture the easy way
As I rent, I can't do anything about the popcorn ceiling  but I think I will add a new colour to my "shade" so it pops against the white background.

Get more easy-to-do ideas on my website, Dollar Store Style, https://www.dollarstorestyle.com

• 15-inch open mesh metal fruitbasket  (Dollarama)
  • 1-inch metal washer  (on hand)
  • Spray paint  (on hand)

To see more: https://www.dollarstorestyle.com/makeiteasy.html

• Paula

I love the look. I have some contractor's light fixtures in my basement and would like to make them look better - They're just bare bulbs, so there's nothing to attach the "shade" to, any ideas how I might make this idea work???
    • Melita Todd

You can buy LED lights at Home Depot that screw into a single bulb fixture. You have the light and shade all in one. I put them in my closets and my husband's shop. We love them. They are the bright white spectrum and they are bright. We have the 7" and I noticed today there is an 11". Hope this helps for your basements.
  • Unise Horton Rosner

What about hanging crystals from the wire basket to glam it up?
    • Juliette Smith

Same thing I was thinking; and perhaps attaching a thin translucent fabric to the inside of the bowl as well
  • 62q10370829

Did you know that you can get different length things to lower shade from light blub? Your shade will get hot with blub touching it. You can paint it to match shade so it doesn't stand out.

• Patsy47

Great idea but, try adding more decorative bulbs for a prettier look, those bulbs look harsh since there is no glass shade to camoflague them....just an observation...i do think its a great look!
  • Marj MRC Creations

Great look! I'll be doing the same with a kitchen fixture in our cottage. I bought the wire fruit basket and it's already painted, so will go up soon. Great idea!