Turn Old Tea Tins Into Planters

$10

It's no secret that I am a lover of succulents. I have created more succulent planters than I can count! Succulents are easy to care for, even if you don't have a green thumb, and it's so much fun to get creative with making planters for them! Recently, I used some tea tins I had on hand to plant some succulents in. These planters make great patio decor for your summer enjoyment!
I saved these tea tins knowing someday a project idea would spark.

To prep them for this project, I removed the labels. I soaked them in warm soapy water and scrubbed the labels off. Then I used GooGone for any excess stickiness. Rinse thoroughly after using GooGone.
Next, I used a drill to create drainage holes in the bottom of the tins. Succulents don't like a lot of water, so good drainage is a must.
Then, I spray painted the tins using a primer+paint combo spray paint. If you can't find paint with primer, just use a spray primer first, then regular spray paint.
Again, succulents need drainage! I added some gravel to the bottom of the tins and then a succulent friendly soil on top (look for "cactus" soil). Then I dug a small hole and planted a succulent in each one.
Tea tins are the perfect size for these succulents! If the succulents are happy, they will grow and spread, and you will eventually need to find a bigger planter, but these little tins have lasted all summer for me!
What do you think about succulents? Have you tried growing any?

See some of my other succulent planters:

• Tea Tins
  • GooGone
  • Drill

Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

1 comment