DIY EPIC YARN LAMP SHADE + IKEA RENOVATION |DanDIY

$47

Hello.
Here is a fun project I wanted to share with you. Its pretty easy to create and looks very elegant in any space.
First you need to assemble the two bottom parts of the HOLMO (ikea lamp stand)
Now create square mold from any kind of thin smooth plastic. when finish add protective layer of cardboard around the square to prevent any distortion of the perfect mold you made, concrete mixture is heavy and can change the appearance of the mold if its to thin ( plastic is the best material if you are working with cement/concrete because smooth plastic peels quickly and leave the concrete fine and smooth when dry)
Make the concrete mixture-
one cup of water to three cups of dry cement powder (depends on the brand you're using)
After your mold and the concrete mixture is ready place the bottom of the lamp stand you joined in the center of the mold and pour the concrete inside.
After 12 hours releace from the mold and sand the concrete for a perfect result
Now for making the lamp shade you will need a wood glue, 6 twines, container, water, cardboards and clean film. here Im mixing wood glue and water to thin out the thickness of the glue
You can see in the video above how I made the huge rectangle from cardboard, and after that wrap the shape up with clean film to protect future sticking of the twine and cardboard
dip the twine in the glue water you just did and loop it all around the cardboad until you finish with all the six twines for steady lamp shade
At the end brush the twine lightly for hard result.
Its not must but for more luxury finish I brushed my concere with glossy mod podge
Then assemble all the pieces of the lamp togetherand screw a light bulb
After your giant lamp shade has dry (about 24 hours) crumple the cardboard while keep separating the hard twine from the clean film
place it above the base, add some fairy lights and you are all done :)

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Perfectly Round Tables
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/danshachar/

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Really interesting project! How sturdy is the lampshade portion? Are you able to clean it?

• Tobi Wyszomirski
    Tobi Wyszomirski

That looks really great, until my 70 lb puppy (still growing) decides to lean against it! But I do like it and would like to make one.

• Leslie
    Leslie

I think I would saturate or thoroughly brush polyurethane on the twine to harden it. Not sure how strong the wood glue is. Could make test pieces. All in all Dan very nice idea and thank you for sharing.