How to Build Raised Beds Using Pallets

$50

Hi everyone! Welcome to my garden. I grow vegetables in raised beds since it is more convenient, useful, and attractive. Raised garden beds can be quite expensive, so I want to show you how you can make your own raised garden beds from pallets!

You might have heard that pallet wood isn't safe to use for garden beds where you will be planting vegetables. Here is what you should look for. There should be a
how to build raised beds using pallets
1st step is to roll the pallets to where you want them to be in the garden. Watch the video to see my technique for doing this easily.

how to build raised beds using pallets
Here's the stamp on the side of the pallet referenced above.

how to build raised beds using pallets
Now use a jigsaw, circular saw, or handsaw to cut the slats of wood.

how to build raised beds using pallets
We have a bunch of pieces of wood that we want to all make the same size.
how to build raised beds using pallets
These planks are held together on long wooden rails 2 and half by 2 centimeters which allows for enough grip for the nail.
how to build raised beds using pallets
It's time to nail the planks in to the long wood rails. I used 40mm nails

how to build raised beds using pallets
While pallet wood is treated for the weather, I like the look of stained wood, so I went ahead and stained three of the four boards.
how to build raised beds using pallets
Time to put the bed together. After connecting the four sides, I drilled small wood rail along the middle and filled the bed with dirt.
how to build raised beds using pallets
Finally time to put capping along the edges of the top of the pallet garden bed to give it a beautiful finished look. Hope you enjoyed! For more please watch the video and come visit my channel for other exciting videos :)
how to build raised beds using pallets

• Pallet wood  (local DIY store (free))
  • Nails  (local DIY store)
  • Decking stain  (local DIY store)

3 questions on this project
  • Holly
    Jan 15, 2018

Could you use this same idea and use the planks as a walkway to the house? They look beautiful stained...that's what I originally thought of when I saw the picture...?

• Jen Morris
      Jan 15, 2018

I guess you could but be sure to make the rails thicker and of a weather proof material (tanalised timber). I made a little walkway through my berry cage and found that the wood sitting on the ground decays faster.

• Vic25710122
    Sep 12, 2017

Great idea but I wonder how long it will take before the boards start deteriorating?

• Pon12424739
    Sep 12, 2017

Pallet wood is not pressure treated so it will rot very quickly when it comes into contact with water & soil. Stain alone will not protect it from this. Did you treat it otherwise?

• RC Leach
      Sep 15, 2017

She Never said it would last forever. I doubt that anything made of ANY kind of wood will last much longer than any of us want this kind of project around, and not because I don't like this idea, because I do. It's just that when you use free or cheap material, you usually aren't expecting it to look or last like the Taj Mahal. I think that she knows that if it's wood, and you put dirt in it, and water it on a regular basis, it will not last forever. I think it looks great, and I'm considering making one too! I can get free pallets!