HOW TO CLEAN YOUR OVEN WITH BAKING SODA & VINEGAR!

119K Views
I show you how to clean your oven with baking soda and vinegar!
I'm going to be showing you how to clean your oven with baking soda and vinegar using products that you can find right in your kitchen. I'm really excited to show you how I transformed my nasty, dirty oven over night! It's actually amazing to see such a drastic transformation.

Please watch the video below to see this technique in action. Come stop by my youtube channel for other fun videos and follow me on social media!

SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC86cc9AQwyEPj9fwnItDtaQ?view_as=subscriber
CONNECT WITH ME!  Bethany's Instagram: http://instagram.com/bethany.fontaine/

Time: 24 HoursCost: $2Difficulty: Easy
  • how to clean your oven with baking soda vinegar
Let's get started because my oven really needs a cleaning! Here is what it looks like before I start to clean. 
First remove the racks from your oven.

Take out your pure white vinegar and baking soda. You'll need 1 cup of baking soda which you should pour in the glass bowl as well as a third of a cup of water until it makes a thick paste. 
You'll need 1 cup of baking soda which you should pour in the glass bowl as well as a third of a cup of water until it makes a thick paste. Add them together and mix it well.
Spread the baking soda mixture onto the surface of your oven. Clean in circular motions. I used a cloth but i think using a sponge might work even better!
I moved inside the oven to clean the bottom and sides. 
Now it's time to let it sit over night. A little patience can go along way.
I also cleaned the oven racks with all purpose cleaner just to go one step further! 
12 hours later...I found an empty spray bottle and filled it with vinegar. Spray it onto the surface of your oven! It will fizz which is super satisfying ;)
Once your oven is covered in vinegar take a cloth and rub away the baking soda mixture and grime!
Take a spatula to scrape away the bits stuck on to the bottom of the oven. This step can get messy and might take a while all depending on how nasty your oven is ;) For my oven it took a good 10 min.
Once all the nasty stuck on grime is removed, wipe your oven down with a warm damp cloth to get rid of the vinegar and baking soda. After everything is wiped clean, dry the surface of your oven with a dry cloth and TA DA! Now you have a beautiful, clean and glistening oven! :)

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Suggested materials for this project:

Ask a Question
    • Yes but don't try to run the self cleaning cycle with this on the surface.
      My self cleaning oven stopped working properly and I clean with this vinegar and baking soda paste and got good results. It is past the warranty period So that is something to consider.
      I soaked the grills in A wash tub and used 00 steel wool after a few hours and they look new.
    • I have used vinegar &baking soda to clean my oven for years. My Step #2 however is vacuuming I use the crevice tool to scrape up loose and not so loose burned on crust (gets rid of a lot of dry stuff before you get the oven wet.) and then start smearing the baking soda paste, The 10 min of scraping Bethany describes will be reduced !

DBDB Fort Collins, CO · answered Sep 29, 2017
    • Exactly! Me too! Just use the wet dry vac, not your good one.
    • wonder if this will work on top of sto e
      with all glass surface .Ive had mine for many years and the eye I cook on mainly for some reason does not come clean as much as the other 3 .Its clean , but I dont know ,maybe older looking from more use .and spills and cleaning .

• Soak oven grates in garbage or lawn and leaf bag. Don't have to clean tub

• I soak my racks in the bath tub with hottest water you can get. Add washing soda. Let soak until the water cools then rub a chore girl over the racks. Everything comes off easily.
    • What if the oven was heated up to 150* before starting?
      The warmth might make it work faster.

• Yes just be careful to not let it drip down in the slits on the bottom of the oven. I did this then placed a teflon oven liner in the bottom to protect the oven from further messes. it was really smelly the first time I used the oven but since then it has been fine and no more messes to clean up.
    • I just put a whole sheet of heavy duty foil in the bottom of my gas oven. It falls over the two side vents, but it's so loose it doesn't matter. If it gets messy from spills, just take it out and put a new one in. So much easier than scrubbing those spills off the floor of the oven!
    • Thank you so much. Two great ideas.

• I just boil a cup of white vinegar in a microwave safe bowl...like glass...and test ...try to see if it’s enough to wipe off easily w a paper towel...if not boil it longer. This works best if you wipe it down right after you boil the vinegar. You’ll be amazed.

• I wouldn't use baking soda on the stainless steel...it's abrasive and may leave scratches. I've used a product called Bar Keeper's Friend for that, and it's fine.

• Yes Brenda just make sure you don't I repeat don't get any water, etc in the pipes, etc. I have used this in gas stoves and although a little more awkward, it does work. Hope that helps.

ViolaViola East Orange, NJ · answered Nov 15, 2017
    • I do this with my baking pans makes it easy job done Always did racks in my sink with extra built in hand hose Bathtub I feel too dangerous one slip all it takes
    • Yes but you need to take some precautions. Take your racks and the bottom pan most gas ovens have out. You'll clean those separately. Purchase a set of the foil oven liners. You can usually find these at most any dollar store or bog box discount store. Use both of them for added stability. Then pull off extra long pieces of heavy duty foil and lay them under your oven liners leaving the excess sticking out past the edges. You're going to crumple these around crumpled tubes of foil until your oven liner & foil edge rolls create a tight fit in your oven. Then clean your oven using the standard application of baking soda paste and vinegar activator. Try not to get a heavy pool build up in the pan you've made so it doesn't slide down though. The Baking soda paste is a bear to remove if you let it get into your gas lines which is why you want to do this precaution first.

• Hmm, that is a good question. A thought just came to my mind and it is: call the manufacturer. They would know best how to do that since they are the builder/maker of the appliance. What you think? Hope that helps.

• You can unscrew the screws in the door carefully and take apart to clean. Time comsusing, but worth it to get rid of streaks.
      then just out door back together;)
    • Be very careful to put it back together like it was or better yet go on line for advice how to from manufacture. Good luck.

• Sauve
    Sauve France

Did you know you can just use Grill cleaner? I spray it on the night before and close the oven. The next morning I don some simple rubber gloves, because the stuff is a dirty brown, and wipe the oven with the cheapest paper towels until it is clean and dry. Done.

• Cra19698379
        Cra19698379

If you are talking about the glass window on the front of your oven, can't you just clean it the same way with vinegar and baking soda? I have been cleaning mine that way. My oven is well over 40 years old and while the oven is not perfectly clean, it is much cleaner since I started using this mixture. I don't think the previous owners of my house did a lot of cleaning and because it's been baked on many times, it seems impossible to get it completely clean, but it's better.

• Patty Anderson
        Patty Anderson

Your cleaned oven looks lovely! May have to try this.......my oven needs a major cleaning, and I don't relish the heat the self cleaning puts in the house. Isn't vinegar and baking soda wonderful! Good job!

• Connie K
            Connie K Kennesaw, GA

Vinegar is very acidic! It could be that it would damage any coating the oven surface might have. Vinegar will harm several types of surfaces, such as granite, some metals etc. Always check it out before using.