DIY Pumpkin Pail Light Covers

$2

Want a great way to add a little halloween or fall decor to your front porch? This is easy and cheap!

I've been putting these on my lights for a few years, but at our new beach house a bright orange pumpkin pail didn't go with the rest of my fall colors so when I saw those pumpkin pails in a variety of colors and teal (what I decorate a lot with around here) I was thrilled and bought a few.
Start with your basic pumpkin pail. I bought 2 of them since I have 2 lights I needed covered - one on each side of our garage door.
Now you will need to cut out the back part of your pumpkin (or if you want the pumpkin to last all season long, cut the area of his face out) with a utility knife.

Check out the width of your light so you know how wide to make your cut. Make sure that the area you cut out in the back is about half the size of the width of your light so that it's big enough to get around the light, but small enough to stay in place. I drew lines down the back of my pumpkin where I wanted to cut and I also cut out the bottom of the pumpkin pail.
Here you can see what my pumpkin looks like with the back and the bottom cut out. If you do not want to cut out the bottom you don't have to, I just wanted the light to be able to shine out the bottom of my pumpkin and down my garage door.
Here you can see what my light looks like before and how it will become attached.
Then take your pumpkin pail and wrap it around your light, wiggling it around until it fits snuggly in place. You may need to rest it on a certain area of your light, depending on how your light is shaped.
He looks so neat, especially at night! And I love having the teal color to match with the rest of my decor.

And when halloween is over, I will swap these 2 pumpkins out with similar ones, but with the face in the back so it's fall decor instead!

Want more fun and easy DIY's like this? Head on over to CrazyDiyMom and join the fun!

* EDITED TO ADD: A teal pumpkin can represent a home that hands out non peanut goodies to kids on Halloween. You can do a search on google for Teal Pumpkin Project to learn more about this since it is something many people have not heard of yet. You also do not have to choose a teal colored pumpkin for this project since they finally make more colors that just orange. :)

• Pumpkin pails
  • Utility knife

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

• Shalon

Have you ever heard of The Teal Pumpkin Project? If you decorate with teal pumpkins, kids with allergies may show up to your door for a prize instead of a treat. I heard it's really taken off...just an FYI...HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
    • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

I sure have heard about it now! Lol. I guess fortunately for me we don't get trick-or-treaters out by our house so I don't have to worry about it much. Happy halloween!!
  • Ham24453201

Did u take the globe part of the porch light off or did u put the pumpkin over it?
  • Bma29522635

What is the length of your outside lamp? I have one like that's approximately 8 inches and the standard pumpkin pal is too short. Any suggestions? I love your idea!
    • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

My lamp is bigger than my pail too. I just wrapped it around where it fit snug and looked the best ;)

• Jo Corbett

Remember a teal pumpkin is a sign that you have non food treats for trick or treaters. This was started for children with food allergies. I am so excited it has caught on.
  • Sarge

I love it!!!