Vickymcreations
Vickymcreations
  • United Kingdom

Large Denim Floor Cushion

1 Material
$5

Do you have a stash of old denim jeans? I love hard wearing denim, jeans are a great source of fabric. You can create a tie-dye effect by tying in a variety of ways and then bleaching. Transform your old jeans into a large circular floor cushion, fill with whatever you have to hand, old cushions, fabric scraps, old duvets. This cushion shows off a variety of denim colours adding real personality to your room. This project is perfect for a child's bedroom.
large denim floor cushion
I started by cutting up my old jeans to create triangular shapes. No complicated maths was involved in this project!
large denim floor cushion
I created a variety of patterns in the denim fabric by tying and bleaching (you can see more of this process on my blog). I left the fabric in the bleach for an hour, then machine washed the denim to remove all traces of the bleach.
large denim floor cushion
Piecing the triangular shapes together to create a circle, a paper template came in handy. Strips of denim are then sewn together to create the side panels.
large denim floor cushion
Once the top, bottom and side panels were sewn together (with piping covered in denim to add a touch of professionalism) the large denim floor cushion was then filled with the offcuts of denim, old cushions and pillows.
large denim floor cushion
The cushion makes a lovely feature for any room.
large denim floor cushion

• Denim  (old jeans)

Vickymcreations

• Cat25969475

What is the "piping" covered in denim?? List of supplies please.
    • Vickymcreations

Hi, thanks to everyone who replied. I have used a piping (pike string much thicker), strips of denim wrapped round the piping, then stitched using a zipper foot - this is explained in the blog post which includes a list of materials:) Would love to see any floor cushion you make.
  • Judy

How did you attach the button?

• Laura Fite

What, is the base,and filler?
    • Vickymcreations

Hi Laura, the base is made of denim, just like the top. Inside the cushion is filled with a variety of things I had to hand - the remainder of the denim chopped into scraps, an old feather pillow, polyester beads from an old floor cushion- you can see more info on the blog post linked:) Vicky

• Mumandp

This is not only a wonderful idea for teenagers but they can take them when they go to College and then moving out on their own!! It will represent the comforts and memories of home while at the same time building new beginnings and a future of their own........................
    I LOVED sewing when I was growing up and have continued throughout My
    life it is an amazing skill to have. I am so grateful to My Mum for taking the time to teach and encourage Us to be creative. I have since passed it on to
    My own Daughter, now in College, to become a Chef!!
    TFS!!
    Thanks for Your time, energy, and know the greatest gifts We give Our Children are the ones that help them grow as Individuals and that feed their SOUL for the rest of their lives...................

Blessings,
    xo Michelle
    A very proud Mum
  • 153091

Great Look! Thanks for sharing. I enjoy working with old jeans as well..nothing as fancy as your stool. Took some old jeans and worn out boots and made a "jean boot stool". Family really enjoy it...so funny when someone sits...you see 4 feet!
    , Jean Boot Stool