The Prettiest Tissue Box Holders You Have Ever Seen

$5

This is such a simple project - but perfect for anyone looking to make a handmade gift or on a budget during the holiday season!
This is the second in a series of lovely holiday gift DIYs. They are all so simple, yet spectacular - you will be amazed! I am actually a little embarrassed by just how EASY this one is!
Begin by gathering all your materials. This one is very easy. You simply need inexpensive Tissue Box Blanks. I got mine on sale for just $2.99 from Michaels, but you can get them on Amazon or just about ant Craft Store!

You will also need Acrylic Craft Paint (or any water based paint you have). I used a white as a base followed by a pearl and then gold for my contrast colour.
Begin with a coat of the white paint. This will give you a good base for the metallic paint to reflect.
You may want to do 2 coats if you have the time. Allow it to dry and then apply your first metallic. I used Pearl.
See how beautifully the colours contrast and reflect the light?

When you see the results you will see exactly what I mean!

Once the Pearl has dried take a small paintbrush and use the gold (or whatever contrast colour you have chosen) and paint a small area around the top of one side of the box.
Next flip your brush upside down and use the non-brush end to make 'spots'. You could use a Q-tip if you find that easier.
Randomly 'dot' gold spots around. Fewer at the bottom than the top, so they look like they are falling.
Repeat this on all four sides and the top of the box.
When you get to the area where you painted the gold with the brush, continue with the 'dotting'. Use the dots to create texture, almost like real metal. This is the magical part!
Repeat around the top.
And BOOM! All done!
I think this would make a wonderful Teacher or grandparent gift. It is so simple and something the kids could do.

You could apply the same technique to other items such as small boxes or coasters. So much fun!

Let me know if you give it a go!

Fiona Debell

1 comment
  • Diane

i want to try this. it will make great Christmas gifts. thank you
    Diane