How To: Jingle Bells Shadow Box

$20

Check out this super simple way to turn an ordinary shadow box into a fun and festive decoration for the holidays.

STEP 1: GATHER SUPPLIES.
For my box, I recycled the frame from an old desktop clock. Its measurements are similar to an ordinary shadow box -- 7.5 x 7.5" with a working depth just shy of 1". I don't own a cutting machine so I bought the 6x6" Jingle All the Way foil decal from my local craft store along with the glitter card stock and assortment of bells.
STEP 2:  ADHERE VINYL DESIGN TO GLASS.
Before applying the decal, I made sure the glass was clean and dry. Then I followed the instructions on the decal sheet.

(1) Remove the back paper.
(2) Position the decal on surface.
(3) Rub cover sheet with craft stick to transfer decal to the surface.
(4) Remove cover sheet to release the decal.

For whatever reason, my decal did not stick! Has anyone else had this problem?! I ended up using an X-Acto knife to separate the decal from the cover sheet, and then I held it in place with a popsicle stick as I slowly peeled away the cover sheet. I did it in sections and applied pressure once the decal was fully on the glass to make it stay.
I don't know whether it was user or manufacturer error, but it worked in the end.

STEP 3:  FILL WITH BELLS.
The large, multi-colored bells are 1" while the smaller silver bells vary from 0.24", 0.40" and 0.51". The only consideration I made was to face the large bells forward since there would be no room to rotate once the backing was attached. Otherwise I filled the box to a level of my preference.

Note: Extra bells can be used to adorn gifts or make other holiday crafts. And if you're feeling really fancy, add a string of battery-powered fairy lights for a gorgeous glow!

STEP 4:  CUT COMPLEMENTARY PAPER TO SIZE AND USE AS BACKDROP.
Since I recycled an old clock, I cut a piece of glitter card stock and attached it with a staple gun for the backing. If you're using a shadow box or picture frame, adhere holiday scrapbook paper to the frame's cardboard backing, taking care to leave the top open so it will slide back into the slot smoothly.
Totally easy and very pretty.

Make one for your bookshelf or mantel this holiday season -- and one for a friend, too!
For more DIY crafts, simple recipes and home improvement projects, please visit and subscribe to the blog. Thanks for reading! -- v.

30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Vernichel // created by v.

• Julie Gauvin
    Julie Gauvin

Why didn't you fill it to the top?
    • AuntQueenie
      AuntQueenie

I think leaving the space really makes a person look a bit more at what that box contains. I have an empty shadow box and am going to try this before Christmas day ( try being the main word) and if I get it done I am going to give it as a gift. Super cute idea!
  • Paula Pittinger McNeely
    Paula Pittinger McNeely

I have priced shadow boxes & they are pretty pricey. How would you make one out of a picture frame? Maybe glue 2 $ tree frames together to give it enuf depth for the bells? I love your project & have seen it before that's why I had priced shadow boxes. If I knew how to make one out of a picture frame that would be super. Thx for sharing.