Throw Some Shade

56K Views
Creating a shaded area can be cheap and easy. A hot mess patio is no fun. You don't have to be a handy man to fix it.
Time: 5 HoursCost: $8Difficulty: Easy
  • throw some shade
Our patio and small yard had no real shade and had been neglected long before my BF bought this place as a fixer upper 10 years ago. With his job, he had no time to work on it.
  • throw some shade
This is where I come in  I'm from the mountains and need my outside time. The first step was clearing it out. Then, time to think outside of the box. First thing I did was measure the space in between the 2x4s.
  • throw some shade
Removing the old bindweed and measuring the space.
  • throw some shade
I'm using things I found around the house. Most of my projects are easy. I'm disabled and try to keep it doable for the average person. This drop cloth was left over from a paint project.
  • throw some shade
I'm using large paperclips to secure the ends. If you want you could use staples or what ever you have that will work.
  • throw some shade
Using the factory fold lines as a guide, cut the cloth in to strips. Make sure you have the hemmed sides as your ends. This will help hold it in place with your paperclips.

Next I did a zig zag stitch along the raw edges.

• throw some shade
For this I used left over thread. It's not going to be noticeable after a few months in the sun and salty air.
  • throw some shade
If you have pinking shears, trim the edges. I didn't have any so mine will just have to weather off.
  • throw some shade
Starting at the high end of the structure, I wrapped the fabric around the first 1x2 and used the paper clips to secure.
  • throw some shade
One clip on top and one on the bottom side of the board.
  • throw some shade
Hard to see, but put one on each side of the hem.
  • throw some shade
Then weave the fabric over and under the 1x2s. Make sure you leave enough on the end to wrap around the last board.

• throw some shade
Pull the fabric back to tighten the wrap and then clip with the paperclips. Pull the slack at each drop where you want it. Your done.
  • throw some shade
This survived hurricane Harvey and the snow we had this week. I was told hurricanes never land here and it never snows in south Texas...picture from this week. The canopy survived it all. Lost a tree in the hurricane and the lattice work, but the paperclips held up just fine.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 17, 2018 10:44 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask a Question