Simple Fix for Problem Ceiling

$220

Our house was built in 1970 and was a fixer upper when we bought it 22 years ago. Raising 5 young children, however, was our priority. When it came time to finally start fixing it up, we were met with some challenges, one of which were our ceilings. Old popcorn ceilings that needed updating BAD! This is the solution I came up with and absolutely love it!
Both ceilings I have done had holes from the
simple fix for problem ceiling
After searching for something to fill the need, I finally came across a company called Talissa Decor. They specialize in ceiling tiles, wall tiles and even wall murals using different materials and patterns. We chose this pattern for the Dinning Room using their 20" X 20" polystyrene tiles. They answered all my questions and helped me determine the exact number of tiles I would need (plus a few extra for boo-boos). Great company to work with. This is my 2nd project using their ceiling tile products.
simple fix for problem ceiling
After assembling all the materials, I took the light fixture down, then used a chalk line to find the center and mark where the first tile would go, making sure it was square with the room. Then the fun began. With the putty knife, smear a thin, but adequate, layer of the Acryl Pro over the back of the tile and then stick the tile to the ceiling in the center where you marked it to be square. Continue the process, butting up each tile to the one before. I used a soft rag to make sure all the air bubbles were out and it was secured to the ceiling. Be careful. Polystyrene is easily dented but I didn't have any trouble with that.
simple fix for problem ceiling
One of the holes near the light has already been covered, you might see the edge of the other hole, which has been roughly patched (not sanded) as it was quite big. to the right of the tiles.
This process took longer than usual as I am a stay at home grandma taking care of a 1 year old granddaughter and 2 grandsons at the same time.

simple fix for problem ceiling
We are very happy with the end result. We plan to do the Living Room and 2 bedrooms to cover the popcorn ceilings in them as well.
simple fix for problem ceiling
This is the bedroom ceiling which we did several years ago. We are still loving it.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 02, 2018 10:55 PM - More info

3 questions on this project