Create a Pretty Framed Heart for Valentines Day Using Old Jewelry

$0

Do you have a bunch of old jewelry lying around your home? Why not create a pretty framed heart? Perfect for Valentines Day, but pretty enough to leave out year round.
My sister, a friend, and I helped with my friends late Aunt's estate sale. We tossed any old jewelry we found into a tin and saved it for an upcoming project.
We used frames that we already had and sprayed the back with Elmers spray glue. Next we placed it on a piece of drop cloth I had left over from a previous project. Any backing would work. We did not cut it to fit at first. I laid them on my cutting mat and cut them with my rotary cutter to get a nice clean edge.
Fold a piece of paper in half and draw half of a heart. Cut it out with scissors.
Center the heart onto the drop cloth and trace lightly with a pencil. We measured ours.
Now the fun begins! Start laying out the jewelry onto the traced
heart. You will need to cut the back off with wire cutters in order for the jewelry to lay flat. Some came off easy, others were a bit difficult.
My sister and friend laid out their entire heart before gluing. Me, not being the patient one laid 5 or 6 pieces and then glued. :) We used hot glue. Either method works. They did say that they were not able to get the pieces to fit exactly like they had it laid out when it came to gluing. We used small pearls to fill in some of he void areas.
I didn't fill in the area behind this pin. I laid a few pearls in the holes but decided I liked it better without.
This is the bottom of my heart. Notice that from the side you can see my pencil line. I think I will will just add more pearls. You don't see it from the front. I really did center my heart, but the piece I used at the bottom hung down a long ways. It didn't bother me. In fact I love it!
Be creative! I cut one side off of a watch and added the rest to the top of my heart.
Now for the finished project. This one is mine, the smallest of the three. Both my sister and I painted our frames with white chalk paint and sanded them. I had everything on hand, so this project didn't cost us a dime.
This is my sisters. Love how she used the bling on both sides of the top of hers!
Now This is my friends. The chippy frame is one that I made years ago using a crackle product.

Old Jewelry

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Jann Olson

• AmyAston

What do you use as the backing - where you draw the heart and affix the jewelry?

• Kelli

Mark's. Can use any solid fabric. Use solids to ensure your heart shows up clearly. If you were to use a print, it could become too busy. This would lead to your jewelry fading in to the background.

• Susie

All of these are beautiful!! I would love to do this, too, but I kinda need a size reference. May I ask what are the sizes of the frames?

• Kelli

Use any sized frame. All you have to make sure of is that 1. You have a big enough piece of paper to cut your heart pattern out of. And 2. You have enough of your antique jewelry to fill the heart in.

• Sandra

Using the spray glue, does the jewelry stay glued really well. Do I put glass on the pic or would need to a shadow box.? Love all the pics and what a nice thing to use old jewelry for instead of tossing it, thanks

• Jann Olson

Hi Sandra, thanks for your sweet comment! We used hot glue, not spray glue. I have not had one fall off. We didn’t put glass on ours, but a shadow box would be cute!!