Faux Stained Glass: Pond in a Table

$20

I turned my rusty old patio table into a piece of colorful art I can enjoy with my morning coffee. My beloved old table was damaged by the wind, salt and moisture of the sea near my Jaffa home, and as if that wasn't enough, it got a lot of wear from my roommates as well… it was time to make it chic again!

mock vitrage pond in a table
Here's the before and after. From rusty to artsy! Here's how I did it:
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 1: Prepare for paint

Clean and dry the surface, then sand and peel all the rusty edges.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 2: Tape of the areas you plan to spray paint
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 3: Prep for top pattern or picture

Decide what pattern you want to create on the glass. Print out an example, stick it under the glass with duct tape. It’s ok to combine a few different elements. When searching for online inspirations, type in the elements you want to paint and the word “drawing”. Choose something that is beautiful to you, or symbolises something positive. I chose koi fish swimming in a pond. They symbolize harmony, yin and yang and wealth.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 3: Trace & draw your design on the glass

Using permanent markers, follow the lines just like in kids' painting books. Once the outlines are in place, start adding your colors.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Tip: first paint the colors then create the outlines in black.
mock vitrage pond in a table
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 4: Spray paint.

Protect the glass with duct tape and newspaper. And protect yourself with gloves and mask.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Spray paint can be very messy, but it's fast and has good, even coverage. Read the instructions on your spray can & don’t paint towards the wind.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Here it is after the fish and the paint. But there was more to do!
mock vitrage pond in a table
Step 5: Fill in the rest of your design!

I used permanent markers, the simple, easy-to-find kind. It takes them a few minutes to dry. In that time you can apply more color and shades and allow them to blend. This will happen naturally when applying more colors before the previous ones dried.
mock vitrage pond in a table
Here it is after I added my finishing touches. After you have painted the whole surface, go over the outlines with black marker or add a touch of gold marker to the fins.

What do you think? A brand new patio table using just spray paint and permanent markers. I'm in love!

• Minh

After drawing, spray paint on the top???

• Cristina Pagoota

I'm puzzled by why you didn't paint the table before drawing the design. I would love to try it, but am afraid to ruin the design during the spray painting process. Has anyone tried spray painting the table first, then doing the drawing/painting of the design?

• Melissa

Outside tempered glass with texture on bottom might make it hard to draw on,top is smooth.? If you use technique & flip glass over might work. But Perm Markers? They will fade in sun & 'bleed' if Poly sprayed on it. So paint for glass might be better. But totally have 2 tables to try! Might have my kids make one too

• Eva David
      31 minutes ago

Totally agree! Looks lovely, but done backwards. AND perm. marker? They do was off of glass and plastic easily.

• Kauai Breeze

I'm not sure about using permanent markers to paint. I use these markers on my plant labels and they fade away in a couple months of sun so you can't read them. I would invest in paint meant for glass unless you want to paint a different design next year.

• Philip

I've got some glass paints lying around so I might try this on my door glass.pane.