Gary Hardman
Gary Hardman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springboro, OH

Vintage Windows Equal Amazing Coffee Table

$65
Advanced

The find was two 100 year old windows for $30. I liked their shape, I wasn’t so wild about stripping 4 layers of paint and even smoke from them. The labor was intense, the reward was a beautiful coffee table.
vintage windows equal amazing coffee table
The first step was cleaning and stripping the 100 years of paint and grime off. This was quite time consusing and not for the faint of heart. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area and wear safety glasses.
For step two I built a box out of 1x6 pine board. Put your two windows together to get the measurements for cutting the width and length. I used 1 and 1/2 inch trim head screws to attach the sides. I countersink the screws into the wood and fill the holes with putty to give it a more finished look. Lay your windows on top to insure your measurements are correct.
For step three I used the inside width of the box to cut 1x5 shiplap boards for the bottom of the coffee table. Fit the first board inside to insure a snug fit.
Step four I painted the box with antique white chalk paint and stained the boards a chestnut stain from Min Wax. It is easier to paint and stain before you assemble the base. Fit the boards inside the box and attach to the bottom of the coffee table with the 1and 1/2 inch trim head screws.
For step five I used 8 inch filials that normally go on the top of fence posts as the legs (Garage sale find). I painted them and attached them to the bottom using 3 inch trim head screws. I polyurethaned the windows and chestnut stained boards and used finishing wax on the painted box.
I added handles on the middle of the windows so that they can open out for step six.
Step seven attach two three inch brass hinges On each window.
The finished piece gives you a one of a kind coffee table that can display your favorite collectibles.

• Sandra Allen

I love this but wondered why you didn't return the hinges to the original spot? Or, if not, fill it in with wood or wood putty? TIA!!

• Kat

Great idea and work!! I am more into the industrial look but am sending this onto someone who would love it she could have her dad build it. Could the non showing hinge work on this?

• Barb C

Very cute idea. Did you leave in original glass or replace with acrylic or stronger glass? I've seen other (less creative) window tables. But I can't believe the panes wouldn't break the first time someone set something down a little too hard. Any advice ?

• Gary Hardman

Thanks Barb,

This is the original glass. Have been putting stuff on this for the last year and no breaks yet.