DIY Bi-fold Closet Door Makeover

$35

This DIY Bi-fold Closet Door Makeover really transforms my old craft closet bi- fold doors into pure Luxe!! This closet door makeover is a simple change that really updates the age of the room and I LOVE IT! These old doors take a "blast from the past" and are easily updated and made modern with several coats of paint.

Start with using a screw driver to detach each door from the hinges. (I used one other person to assist me with this process which made it a lot easier).

For best results: attempt to unscrew the screws at the bottom of the doors first.
Get prepared to start painting by taking the project outside, into the garage or into a basement with enough ventilation.

Tip: I used two old storage containers to create a table for easier painting.
Paint all of the sides of the doors. (This process took me three coats on each side of the door). The number of coats will be dependent on the paint selected and the desired results for the look of the door. ( I chose a flat paint which seemed to require additional coats).
I painted around the existing hardware of the door..., but the paint can be more easily distributed if the hardware is removed. In some cases, replacing the hardware if its "old", can really make the doors appear refreshed!
I used a small paintbrush to assist with painting all of the cracks and crevices.
Check out the video for more:)!
Re-hang the closet doors. (Again, I had assistance with re-installing the doors ) Attach new door knobs on the doors based on style preference and WALLA!!! You have great new updated closet doors. This is such a great and inexpensive way to reuse what you already have.

• Barbara

Ok we would like to stain the doors The doors are already painted. How would we go about staining them?

• CeeJay

It's hard to go that direction. Paint seals the wood and the stain can't penetrate and show the wood grain. You could paint the doors a dark, coordinating color to blend with your stained wood. Or if your doors have large areas of flat panels and not all the louvers like the OP you could try one of the faux woodgraining kits on the market where you paint a base color, then top with a glaze and pull a graining stamp through the glaze to resemble real wood grain. Or you could replace them with new doors and start over. Good Luck!

• Cas23735375

Did you sand the doors before painting?

• Cass Harris

Hi! I actually didn't sand the doors, but the paint still had covered very well. Thanks.

• Stacey Feiber Haller

I have a bifold door on my pantry. No louvers. Can I paint over stain? What would be a good kitchen color?

• Terry Duke

A little cheat to get around a lot of sanding when painting over stained/sealed wood it to use a product like “No-Sand.” It is a low odor surface prep that is a gel that you basically just wipe or “paint “ on with a brush. I love this because it basically “opens” the chemical bond of whatever the old finish is, makes it a bit “tacky” and ready to accept your new finish. Super simple, apply it, let it sit for about 5-30 minutes then wipe away the excess . (In this stage it will also have loosened any “crud” , dust or flake finish particles. Once wiped away, you have about 30 minutes to apply your first coat of new finish!