How to Build a Storage Unit in a Minute and a Half

$88

Last year, I came up with how to build a bench in sixty seconds and I’ve always wanted to create another similar idea. So, without further ado, here it is. Yesterday, I showed you how to build a simple cubby dresser using four crates. Today, I am showing you how to add three stair treads and create an amazing storage unit. This storage unit can be used as many things. I plan to use it in my daughter’s room as a dresser. My daughter hates to put her clothes in drawers. I hope this is a solution that wI’ll both of us happy. I seriously wouldn’t mind one for myself. It would be great in a mud room using each crate for a child or an item. Such as one bin for hats, one for gloves and so on.  Maybe a bin afor rain gear.
Here is a super simple cubby dresser. I have some ideas on permanently attaching the pieces but I wanted to post this tutorial first.
Using a hammer, I removed two slats from each crate. This created a “cubby” looking crate.
I attached cup pulls to make them appear more like drawers.
Here are the bed risers, four crates and three stair treads (one is blue and two are dark brown stained.
Step 1: Place one stair tread on the 4 bed risers, Step 2: Add two crates and put another stair tread on top, Step 3: Add two more crates and put last stair tread on top.
I‘m going to add real feet but for the video, I wanted something easy. These are bed risers and I painted them to match.
These are fence post tops. I am going to stain them and use them as feet on my unit. They will replace the bed risers. Haven't had the chance to do this step yet. **UPDATE:** The last picture shows these added to the unit and I love it. I can not tell you how much charm these fence post tops add to the unit.
Because of how I positioned my stair tread on the crates, it left a small roughly 1 inch gap. I trimmed a 1 by 4 to the same length as my stairtread. I painted it to match.
I love it. I haven’t attached the pieces yet because I need to clear space in my daughter‘s room for it. When I permanently attach them, I will give another tutorial on how to accomplish this task.
It even looks good from the back.
It is so pretty, I am 😍 in love with it.
Here is a short video on how easy it is to assemble this project.
More ways to style it!
Entirely, having too much fun with decorating this piece
And here it is with the fence top feet added. LOVE IT!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Just a little stop motion video to show how quickly you can assemble and decorate it.

• Stair treads  (Home Depot)
  • Wood Crates  (Home Depot)
  • Bed Risers  (Walmart)

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner

• Luanne

Sorry but I don't see where/why the stair treads are used? Love the finished product!

• Stacy Davis

Stair treads are the three long boards that the crates rest on. I will try to add some pictures that show that more clearly.

• Marilyn Allegretti

Why am I not getting "Hometalk" in my emails anymore?

• Flipturn

Check your Spam inbox to see if perhaps the emails are going there.

If so, then unclick that Hometalk emails are Not Spam

If not, then:

-Go to your Profile/Account Settings

-Go to Email Settings

-Click or Unclick the different types of emails you would like to continue receiving from Hometalk.

• Patricia Holt

I love the idea! The simplicity of it too! I am thinking of a nice little kitchen island! I don’t have enough space for storage of mitts, washcloths, and towels! This is perfect for just that! Awesome!

• Bonnie Fairris Graham

I love this. You could make a desk for teenagers with a few changes Or try a bit larger for an adult maybe in a craft room