How do I get rid of mice without involving a cat?

+8
I have used the sound repel devices and peppermint spray, neither worked and the pest control trap are not working as well.

• Cynthia Whitney Cynthia Whitney on Mar 03, 2018
    First thing you need to do is figure out where they are getting in! We had no mouse problem for 14 years while we had our last cat and when she died we suddenly had whole families of them (nothing like having a mouse run across the kitchen counters while fixing breakfast!). After fighting them for a whole winter I started checking walls in the basement. Sure enough, I found a little hole near a water pipe! Filled that with cement caulk and haven't had one since. Keep your traps out, keep all food in mouse-proof containers (this is a real pain), remember to put seeds, etc., in containers, too, and then begin looking for foundation cracks inside and out. And they can get in through pretty tiny cracks so fill all of them! Once they are in, they will raise families inside so keep the traps out! Traps are cheap so buy a bunch of them and just throw them away when you catch one so you don't have to handle them. Peanut butter makes the best bait as it's sticky and can't be stolen without tripping the trap. Good luck. (BTW, the cat has been gone for several years now and we still don't have mice!)
  • Pad335458 Pad335458 on Mar 03, 2018
    There is a plug-in that makes a high pitch sound that they can only hear and it keeps them away. Find it at the hardware store.
  • Paula DeMarco Paula DeMarco on Mar 03, 2018
    Cover your out vents with window screening, the dryer vent with same, and Louvre vent cover, under $10.00 to do.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 03, 2018
    Caulk all entry points around your foundation. Areas that are too large and around pipes that go through the walls can be filled with steel wool. They hate that! Then put down rat poison. Make sure no other animals can get to the poison to eat it. I had a rat in my crawl space and now I have to have the insulation around my ducts replaced as they shredded it.
  • Gth5180789 Gth5180789 on Mar 03, 2018
    The suggestion for caulking entry points is excellent. They will continue to get in if you have not found their point of entry and closed it off. The other options-peppermint, steel wool, and sound repellant devices are only effective if the entry point is closed.
  • Emily Emily on Mar 03, 2018
    Once the deep winter sets in we don't have any more mice, since my husband kills them by putting peanut butter in a mouse trap.
  • Cku29473783 Cku29473783 on Mar 03, 2018
    I love animals, but mice carry a lot of problems that can make you and your family sick. I'd use different kinds of traps continually because mice can reproduce at an alarming rate. Good luck.
  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 03, 2018
    I use bounce dryer sheets to keep mice out of our travel trailer
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Mar 05, 2018
    Why aren’t snap traps working for you? I find them ideal. Look for droppings all over your house to find area of ingress. They only need a dime sized hole in foundation to get in. Often finding and plugging that hole can be difficult. Steel wool works tho around pipes etc. Generally under the sink near pipes is a prime spot. Snap traps filled with a blob of peanut butter and I sweeten the deal with a chocolate chip on top. Just get the plain little wooden traps. They are inexpensive. If emptying them creeps you out then toss them. I have my husband deal with the emptying part. Put along the perimeter. Mice run along the walls. Put them where you are seeing droppings. If you have a big issue you can buy plastic bait boxes and bait. We bait in our garage. That poisons them and they die outside before getting in. Poison in the House works but they die in walls and it can be smelly for awhile. Always be proactive before it gets cold outside. Mine try to get in during the fall here in Michigan. I usually take a few out and that’s the end of it but I get them before they move in to stay and have babies. Not a fan of glue boards. They can get free from them. Store any pet food in plastic sealed containers. Not the paper bags they come in. Clean brush, woodpiles etc from the perimeter of house. Sincerely, the wife of a pest control owner 😊