Get More Ferns for Free!

$0

The Pacific Northwest is known for its huge, lush ferns. The previous owner of our house planted several ferns in our shady backyard, and over time they had grown absolutely huge! I decided to spread the love around and divide some of those ferns so I could grow my woodland garden even more.
get more ferns for free
This is one of the smaller ferns in the backyard. The big ones come up past my waist! I thought this would be the easiest one to tackle first.
get more ferns for free
Start by trimming away the dead fronds. The bottom was particularly ragged, so I just chopped them all off. Ferns are pretty resilient, so they can handle aggressive pruning.
get more ferns for free
Use a shovel to dig up the root ball, then cut down the center of the plant. You'll see that the roots are actually smaller clumps of roots, so try to cut between them.
get more ferns for free
Here are the clumps I was referring to. They look like bunches of bananas! Separate out the bigger clumps for replanting.
get more ferns for free
Each one of these bunches found a new home in the garden. Free plants!
get more ferns for free
I left half of the fern root ball intact and planted it back into the same hole it came from. Now it looks like a much more manageable plant!

Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter

1 comment