Thrifty DIY Planter Knockoff

$25

I am currently in the middle of a budget-friendly backyard patio makeover. I want to add two new planters but many out there are too pricey. I decided to knock off my favorite Tuscan-inspired urn using spray paint and white glaze. The results? A pretty planter for less than half the cost. See the full blog post for an in-depth tutorial on the project.
Here's a peek at the final result. Although I wasn't able to replicate the shape exactly, I'm calling it close enough. Do you think I nailed the look for less?
I started with these black, plastic urns from Lowe's. They cost around $11 each.
After spray-priming them (I recommend using a gray or white primer for this project), I gave them a coat of this stone spray paint (be sure to shake well before using). I used a full can for each urn.
To give the planters that aged stone look reminiscent of the Tuscan style, I brushed on a layer of white glaze. The glaze was simply one part white paint to three parts water. I let the glaze settle into any crevices and added more or wiped off excess where necessary.
Finally, I sprayed them with a coat of outdoor-friendly urethane because the stone spray paint is made for indoor use only. Done! The original pricey urns I was eyeing at Lowe's were $70 apiece. Mine ended up costing a mere $25 apiece.

Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Sonali

Where can I find the outdoor friendly urethane ?

• Barbara

I have those plastic planters. I’m going to redo them!

• She10324572

Did you drill a hole for drainage?

• Jill Ron Pike

some plants don't require much drainage, but if they don't have holes, there's an alternative. Filling the bottom with a thin layer of pea gravel and empty plastic water bottles will a) provide drainage and b) make the planters easier to move around. I prefer these to the more expensive ones. Great job!

• Renee

What kind of paint did you use in the glaze?

• Faith Hewes

I have done the same thing and you can't even tell the difference.❣️❣️❣️

• Hazel
    30 minutes ago

Stunning! What a great idea. Thanks for the info!