Thrifty DIY Planter Knockoff

$25

I am currently in the middle of a budget-friendly backyard patio makeover. I want to add two new planters but many out there are too pricey. I decided to knock off my favorite Tuscan-inspired urn using spray paint and white glaze. The results? A pretty planter for less than half the cost. See the full blog post for an in-depth tutorial on the project.
Here's a peek at the final result. Although I wasn't able to replicate the shape exactly, I'm calling it close enough. Do you think I nailed the look for less?
I started with these black, plastic urns from Lowe's. They cost around $11 each.
After spray-priming them (I recommend using a gray or white primer for this project), I gave them a coat of this stone spray paint (be sure to shake well before using). I used a full can for each urn.
To give the planters that aged stone look reminiscent of the Tuscan style, I brushed on a layer of white glaze. The glaze was simply one part white paint to three parts water. I let the glaze settle into any crevices and added more or wiped off excess where necessary.
Finally, I sprayed them with a coat of outdoor-friendly urethane because the stone spray paint is made for indoor use only. Done! The original pricey urns I was eyeing at Lowe's were $70 apiece. Mine ended up costing a mere $25 apiece.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Sonali

Where can I find the outdoor friendly urethane ?

• Barbara

I have those plastic planters. I’m going to redo them!

• She10324572

Did you drill a hole for drainage?

• Jill Ron Pike

some plants don't require much drainage, but if they don't have holes, there's an alternative. Filling the bottom with a thin layer of pea gravel and empty plastic water bottles will a) provide drainage and b) make the planters easier to move around. I prefer these to the more expensive ones. Great job!

• Renee

What kind of paint did you use in the glaze?

• Faith Hewes

I have done the same thing and you can't even tell the difference.❣️❣️❣️

• Hazel

Stunning! What a great idea. Thanks for the info!