Thrifty DIY Planter Knockoff

$25

I am currently in the middle of a budget-friendly backyard patio makeover. I want to add two new planters but many out there are too pricey. I decided to knock off my favorite Tuscan-inspired urn using spray paint and white glaze. The results? A pretty planter for less than half the cost. See the full blog post for an in-depth tutorial on the project.
thrifty diy planter knockoff, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Here's a peek at the final result. Although I wasn't able to replicate the shape exactly, I'm calling it close enough. Do you think I nailed the look for less?
I started with these black, plastic urns from Lowe's. They cost around $11 each.
After spray-priming them (I recommend using a gray or white primer for this project), I gave them a coat of this stone spray paint (be sure to shake well before using). I used a full can for each urn.
To give the planters that aged stone look reminiscent of the Tuscan style, I brushed on a layer of white glaze. The glaze was simply one part white paint to three parts water. I let the glaze settle into any crevices and added more or wiped off excess where necessary.
Finally, I sprayed them with a coat of outdoor-friendly urethane because the stone spray paint is made for indoor use only. Done! The original pricey urns I was eyeing at Lowe's were $70 apiece. Mine ended up costing a mere $25 apiece.
Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Vlynnaika

The white paint used was it flat white? and recommended time to dry before putting on final coat of outdoor spray paint was....?

• Jamie

Vlynnaika,

My general rule of thumb is to dry overnight. The can will usually have directions listed on it how long you need to let dry before applying a second coat, if needed. Just to be sure, I still like to let it dry overnight.

Do not dry outside if you live in a humid area. You do not want to seal in the moisture when you apply your final coat.

• Sonali

Where can I find the outdoor friendly urethane ?

• Barb

TIna in TX that is a good Idea ! It really would make it look high end like the other one .
    I forgot to say something when I posted my other comment .If I do this again I will ruff up the planter to make the paint stick a little better that way I don't have to touch up again where it chipped off a little.
    I had a bit of a different need for a block .I Had to put a block of wood under the inside of mine on the bottom because they are big . The hot hot sun made the plastic soften and bend in word . One of the planters fell over ever so slowly on the ground lol. I was able to replant everything flipping the planter back up on end again .SO if you do big plastic planter that are black the hot sun may do the same with out a hidden block to keep the planter from bending inward . Molded plastic does soften in the very hot sun and I am in NJ.

• Jamie

Great job! I was just given 2 of these planters and was thinking of going for the same idea.