Thrifty DIY Planter Knockoff

70K Views
I am currently in the middle of a budget-friendly backyard patio makeover. I want to add two new planters but many out there are too pricey. I decided to knock off my favorite Tuscan-inspired urn using spray paint and white glaze. The results? A pretty planter for less than half the cost. See the full blog post for an in-depth tutorial on the project.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Easy
  • thrifty diy planter knockoff, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Here's a peek at the final result. Although I wasn't able to replicate the shape exactly, I'm calling it close enough. Do you think I nailed the look for less?
I started with these black, plastic urns from Lowe's. They cost around $11 each.
After spray-priming them (I recommend using a gray or white primer for this project), I gave them a coat of this stone spray paint (be sure to shake well before using). I used a full can for each urn.
To give the planters that aged stone look reminiscent of the Tuscan style, I brushed on a layer of white glaze. The glaze was simply one part white paint to three parts water. I let the glaze settle into any crevices and added more or wiped off excess where necessary.
Finally, I sprayed them with a coat of outdoor-friendly urethane because the stone spray paint is made for indoor use only. Done! The original pricey urns I was eyeing at Lowe's were $70 apiece. Mine ended up costing a mere $25 apiece.

Suggested materials for this project:

Living Rich on Less - Susan