Quick and Easy Curb Appeal

$14

What can you make with a $2 ladder, $6 worth of flowers, and purses by the pound? A very bright, eye-catching display to brighten the front of my home! This past winter has been so long and so cold, most of my plants froze to death, despite my taking precautions such as wrapping them in lights and putting cuttings in water in the house. I desperately needed some life and color to add to the curb appeal until the native plants grow back.
Failed attempt to save plants
Failed attempt to save plants
Last Fall, I bought an old wooden ladder for $2 at an estate sale, purely for decoration in my garden. It was in pretty bad shape, and couldn’t be used as a ladder any more.  That’s okay, because it looks awesome with plants on it, just not dead ones :)
quick and easy curb appeal
quick and easy curb appeal
This week’s challenge was to repurpose thrift store finds.  I already had the ladder, so I went to Goodwill’s Pound Store, where you can buy things for $1.49/pound.  I found all kinds of handbags. Eventually, I narrowed my purchases down to 6 very colorful purses.
Materials to put project together
Materials to put project together
I gathered the purses, ladder, and plants, along with gloves, scissors, landscape fabric, potting soil, and a single hole punch.

quick and easy curb appeal
I had picked up some flowers from the garden center at Walmart for $1.88/6.  Overall, I spent about $14.00 on this project. I really love repurposing the old into the unexpected.  This was a great thrifting brainstorm. The purses were way cheaper than buying pots. Of course, I kept all the great finds for myself!
quick and easy curb appeal
First, I cut open the top of the purses, then zipped them up.
quick and easy curb appeal
Once I had done that, I stuffed the purses with recycled papers until I had a small opening for the plants.  I only crumpled up the paper loosely, because as it settles, it will flatten out. That will leave room for the plants to grow, and soil will just need to be added as the plants spread out their roots.
quick and easy curb appeal
I also cut holes in the sides (now bottoms) of the purses so that the water can drain out.  
quick and easy curb appeal
Once that was done, I stapled the purses to the ladder at different angles (stapling from inside the purses).
quick and easy curb appeal
After that, I matched the flowers I wanted to use with the differently colored bags.
quick and easy curb appeal
Once I had selected flowers, I took them out of the starter packs and placed on a piece of landscape fabric. Then I covered the roots with potting soil, and rolled the landscape fabric up in an envelope.
quick and easy curb appeal
Next, I shaped the landscape fabric-wrapped bundles to the opening in the purses and put them inside, adding soil as needed to fill the openings.
quick and easy curb appeal
quick and easy curb appeal
Gradually, the vibrant colors on the bags will fade in the sun, and the flowers will grow, replacing the bag colors with brilliantly colored flowers.
quick and easy curb appeal
Finally, I watered all the plants.  The angling worked just as I had hoped, draining from one purse-pot into another.  This will allow for less water usage and also help distribute any plant food/fertilizer instead of wasting it.

(The door hanging is another project. I've attached the link at the bottom.)

Last, all I had to do was stand back and admire the beauty of this vibrant display!  I know it’s certainly eye-catching!

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/35484158/simple-spring-door-decor?r=1

• JB

Where are the plants?

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

JB, the purses will fade in the sun as the flowers grow, allowing the blooms to take center stage when they're larger.