Quick and Easy Curb Appeal

$14

What can you make with a $2 ladder, $6 worth of flowers, and purses by the pound? A very bright, eye-catching display to brighten the front of my home! This past winter has been so long and so cold, most of my plants froze to death, despite my taking precautions such as wrapping them in lights and putting cuttings in water in the house. I desperately needed some life and color to add to the curb appeal until the native plants grow back.
Failed attempt to save plants
Last Fall, I bought an old wooden ladder for $2 at an estate sale, purely for decoration in my garden. It was in pretty bad shape, and couldn’t be used as a ladder any more.  That’s okay, because it looks awesome with plants on it, just not dead ones :)
This week’s challenge was to repurpose thrift store finds.  I already had the ladder, so I went to Goodwill’s Pound Store, where you can buy things for $1.49/pound.  I found all kinds of handbags. Eventually, I narrowed my purchases down to 6 very colorful purses.
Materials to put project together
I gathered the purses, ladder, and plants, along with gloves, scissors, landscape fabric, potting soil, and a single hole punch.

I had picked up some flowers from the garden center at Walmart for $1.88/6.  Overall, I spent about $14.00 on this project. I really love repurposing the old into the unexpected.  This was a great thrifting brainstorm. The purses were way cheaper than buying pots. Of course, I kept all the great finds for myself!
First, I cut open the top of the purses, then zipped them up.
Once I had done that, I stuffed the purses with recycled papers until I had a small opening for the plants.  I only crumpled up the paper loosely, because as it settles, it will flatten out. That will leave room for the plants to grow, and soil will just need to be added as the plants spread out their roots.
I also cut holes in the sides (now bottoms) of the purses so that the water can drain out.  
Once that was done, I stapled the purses to the ladder at different angles (stapling from inside the purses).
After that, I matched the flowers I wanted to use with the differently colored bags.
Once I had selected flowers, I took them out of the starter packs and placed on a piece of landscape fabric. Then I covered the roots with potting soil, and rolled the landscape fabric up in an envelope.
Next, I shaped the landscape fabric-wrapped bundles to the opening in the purses and put them inside, adding soil as needed to fill the openings.
Gradually, the vibrant colors on the bags will fade in the sun, and the flowers will grow, replacing the bag colors with brilliantly colored flowers.
Finally, I watered all the plants.  The angling worked just as I had hoped, draining from one purse-pot into another.  This will allow for less water usage and also help distribute any plant food/fertilizer instead of wasting it.

(The door hanging is another project. I've attached the link at the bottom.)

Last, all I had to do was stand back and admire the beauty of this vibrant display!  I know it’s certainly eye-catching!

These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/35484158/simple-spring-door-decor?r=1

• JB

Where are the plants?
    • Jeanne Johnson Ortego

JB, the purses will fade in the sun as the flowers grow, allowing the blooms to take center stage when they're larger.