Building A Large Heavy Duty Garage Shelf

$50

We recently bought a little condo retreat for ourselves for our 20 year anniversary. It has been a dream of ours and it is where we were married 20 years ago and we were coming up here 2-4 times a year. It came with a small single car garage and we needed to build a shelf to help with storage. This is an extra deep & heavy duty shelf. You can build one or more with this concept and personalize your garage to suit your needs and space.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

We bought a 97" x 23 3/4" Melamine Board from Home Depot along with extra large shelf brackets.

Jim mapped out the shelving how he wanted it to go up. You can see the white lines on the walls - those are the studs where you want to screw the shelf brackets in for support.

He measured how high up he wanted the shelf to be and marked it (we actually can put a second one above it or stack things tall with where we did ours).

He used 1/2" x 2" bolts to put the shelf holder into the wall. He measured the screw against the bit to decide which size to use.

He used the drill to make a hole where the screw would go.

Next he used a socket wrench to screw in the screw to make it easier to thread when he screwed in the bracket.

He set the bracket onto the wall, and screwed in the bracket.

He used a level to to make sure the bracket was straight before placing the bottom screw into the bracket.

To make sure he put the rest of the brackets in straight and so that the shelf would be level, we set the board on the first bracket and marked out the where the other brackets would go with a level.

We took the board down and he screwed in all the other brackets. We placed the board back up once the brackets were in and made sure the shelf was level.

Next he screwed in #10 x 1/2" screws to secure the shelf to the board in 2 locations.

Our shelf was done! 

As you can see there is plenty of room to add more shelves, or whatever we will need in the future.

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Chas' Crazy Creations