Painting Hardwood Floors to Look Like Moroccan Tile

$60

I've seen painted floors online and thought they were so creative. Why not paint- if you already hate the floor, and want to replace it someday anyway? So that's the story with this floor.

Oak parquet ran through the entryway and powder room of our home, and I despised it. It glowed orange! Someday we want to replace it with real hardwoods, but in the mean time I came up with a more creative solution. I decided to paint then stencil it to make it look like Moroccan tile, which is very popular in design these days. Read on to see how easy it was to do!

Don't be afraid to scuff it up throughly!

First, I vacuumed the floor. Then since the floor had worn spots throughout, I grabbed a pole sander with 120 grit sandpaper and gave it a good sanding. Once done, I cleaned the floor with 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. I used a spray bottle and paper towels. 

Next, I taped off the baseboards and perimeter with 2" painters tape because I can be messy.  

I chose a dark gray floor and porch paint. I used a brush to paint, but a roller would've made the job quicker. I let the floor dry to the touch, then did a second coat. I then let it dry overnight before stenciling with an off white color. 

See below where I found custom stencils

The easiest way to stencil with the least amount of bleed-through is using a foam roller. JUST DON'T APPLY TOO MUCH PAINT!!

I started in the back corner of the room and planned my "tiles" out from there. I painted 10 "tiles", then while the paint dried washed the stencil with warm water. I bent and taped "partial" stencils as needed. 

Our finished power room!

Finished! Now it's modern and bright! For more details, please click my blog link below.

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/paintedfloor

Visit my Facebook page @RootsandWingsFurniture and sign up for my blog to see all my new projects.

Mosaic stencil tile in the entryway

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Jenni Ingram

• Laura L FoulkesRoberts
    Laura L FoulkesRoberts

As Becky inquired did it need to be sealed upon completion?

• MEG
    MEG

I think it looks awesome!! I can only the difficulty cutting the pattern around the bottom of the toilet??? My bathroom is very small.. just can’t imagine doing it!! Thoughts?!?!

thx

• Mcgypsy9
      Mcgypsy9

You could always do that part last and cut the stencil to fit.

• Marilyn Zaruba
    Marilyn Zaruba

Wow...very impressive. Wish I could work on my knees like that. Did you say how long it took you or did I overlook that info?

• Mcgypsy9
      Mcgypsy9

Well think of it this way...does paint lift off your walls or baseboards or anything else in the home that’s painted? I

• Joyce Cozart
    Joyce Cozart

I dont blame you for painting them. They look beautiful. I hate parque flooring myself

• Roxann
    Roxann

Yes I Will Try it on The Wood Floors.