DIY Scrabble Tile Inspired Collage Wall
I was looking for something to put on my living room wall. When I got some inspiratio, Scrabble tiles. Now there’s tons of versions out there. But I took what I learned and decided to make them my own way.
This was first major DIY project. I was very happy with the results. I did learn a few things along the way.
My decision was....paint or stain the blocks? Now the stained blocks that I have found looked nice. But the staining idea did not float my boat. So paint it is!
I sanded all all the blocks down. I used 120
grit followed with 220 grit. Removed all the dust and began painting. using the latex paint, it took two coats. And I did paint all four sides and the fronts of the blocks.
Next decision was stickers or stencils. Stickers would have been great. The number of packs that I would have needed was not worth the cost. Plus I wasn’t looking for perfection. I wanted them to look hand made. The great thing with using the stencils is that I printed them from my computer. So that gave me access to many different fonts and sizes to choose from fonts that aren’t usually readly available as letter stickers. I used Franklin in size 280.
I did learn that I should have done the stenciling AFTER painting. So I did end up having to do the stenciling twice on some of the blocks . I do think if I would have used spray paint instead of latex I would not have had to restencil the blocks
The H was on sale at Hobby Lobby for $3.99. It is heavy duty cardboard. I used some Rustolium Metallic Siver spray paint (left over from a previous projec) to paint the letter. I also scored the ‘family’ vynil sticker from Hobby Lobby for $4.99.
I scored a 12 pk of various size picture frames from Dollar General. I already had the wall art and a few of the frames. The ‘With Love’ sticker was found at Dollar Tree.
The ‘Established 2002’ sign was from a piece of the wood that was left over from the scrap I got from Lowe’s. I used my left over Rustolium Metallic Silver, then created a stencil using a nice font, followed by hand paintIng the letters and BAM!!
Now we played around with the different ways we could place the letters before putting the letters up. When applying The letters to the wall, I used command strips. I started out with my name since it was the longes. My name served for the base of putting the rest of the letters up. Once that 1st name is up it’s very easy to get everything thing else lined up.
Resources for this project:See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info
Published March 25th, 2018 3:31 AM
2 of 10 comments