Leesa Osborne
Leesa Osborne
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Columbia, TX

Under a Pile of Tree Limbs

$20
1 Week

Yes I found another treasure, I’ve done one very similar to this piece before. But I had to save it, I wanted it because I knew it'd be a beauty. I made my husband stop and yes a gentleman was outside. I asked him if I could take it of course he said yes. Kinda waived me on. So I loaded it up, it was filthy and had a piece missing. I didn’t care “ I could fix it”. I brought it home and immediately took before photos. Took me about a week to decide what I’d do to it.
under a pile of tree limbs
pretty yucky!! the first thing I did was tried unscrewing this medal piece that was hanging off of it where another piece of the table must have been at one time. It wouldn’t budge. Great now what am I gonna do. I got out my saw and just cut those side boards off. Easy fix. Ha the whole thing almost fell apart. I got my wood glue and clamps and put it back together. See photos below.
under a pile of tree limbs
There’s that medal thingy.
under a pile of tree limbs
I scrubbed the heck outta this thing. Heck I couldn’t do much more damage to it right? I used my TSP this is a wonderful cleaner. I scrubbed and scrubbed the funk off. Wiped it down with vinegar and water mixture and left it alone for a couple of days.
under a pile of tree limbs
This was were it was trying to fall apart on me, I pulled out my gorilla wood glue and clamps and made sure it stayed. Mean while I had my husband cut me two boards to replace where I had cut those off earlier. I glued those into place and waited again.
under a pile of tree limbs
We had previously picked up some wood pickets from Home Depot very cheap like $2 for a few bundles. So that’s what I am using for this project.
under a pile of tree limbs
This photo above is before I added the two side boards back that I had sawed off. See pickets in picture below.
under a pile of tree limbs
i had my husband cut the boards after I measured the sides top and bottom area where they needed to go. Once he cut them because they were to thick for me. I cleaned them up with vinegar and dawn dish soap and left them to dry. Once they were dry I sanded them as smooth as I could with 80 grit sand paper on my hand sander. I then stained all the boards with mini wax special walnut and a glaze mixture. I used my wood graining tool and drug in through mixture on my boards and left to dry. I love this tool. It was a first time using so be patient with me and the tool. All I did was mix a little stain with my glaze stirred it a tiny bit and brushed on a board. It did look purple at first. But ended up perfect. Once that dried I used a 150 grit sandpaper and my hand sander and sanded it down.
under a pile of tree limbs
i left all that to the side and filled all the spots on the table frame with wood filler and sanded those Down then primed my table with bulls eye 1-2-3 primer. I used a gray paint & primer in one from Walmart In a flat finish and mixed my own chalk paint using calcium carbonate. Super easy and you can buy it Off amazon for a huge bag for under $20. I then painted 2 coats on my table with light gray chalk paint and once it dried I brused my special walnut colored stain lightly all over and wiped quickly with paper towels. I worked in small sections when using the stain over my painted piece. I even added a little appliqué to it I had previously purchased at michaels craft store.
under a pile of tree limbs
i do distress the table a little with my hand sander. Only because it’s a little quicker than me doing it by hand.
under a pile of tree limbs
under a pile of tree limbs
under a pile of tree limbs
under a pile of tree limbs