DIY Cedar & Galvanized Roofing Deck Box

$35

Want something unique and durable on your deck, porch or yard? This easy project will last for years!

diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
I was looking for a DIY project to get rid of the various beat up plastic tubs we had on our deck I googled cedar deck boxes and saw this Etsy planter above for $175.00, too expensive! So I showed it to hubby Dave and we decided to build our own! For about $35.00 Dave built our DIY version in 3 hours!!!
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
We looked at the photos off Etsy, and he came up with this. It's nailed together rather than stapled, more durable. He used Fir 2x4's underneath, since we couldn't find cedar. He used 2x2's on the inside, made cedar feet for it as well. He accidentally bought the wider cedar for the sides, but I actually like it better. We used a drill, a saw, screwdriver and tin snips.

diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
Dave also raised the floor, using leftover plywood, which uses a lot less potting soil. He drilled holes for drainage. Frame going to together using galvanized nails on the wood.
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
View of floor
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
Another view, scrap cedar triangles on bottom for water defense
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
We only used 1/2 of the 2' x 2' x 8' metal roofing, so I have another project in mind for that. Use tin snips for the roofing.
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
Adding metal roofing, he used a jigsaw to cut it. I had to hold it and that was fun!  We both got sliced a bit. Metal roofing screws used on the inside
diy cedar galvanized roofing deck box
All done, for the full post go to my blog!!!
Little Homestead In Boise

• Amy Rohde

This is almost exactly what I need only not with the bottom and maybe a wee bit taller. I have a couple of very pretty and large plants which tend to fall over. I will use this idea to make the 4-sided box I need only I will just leave out the bottom so that I can slip it right over the plant. This will help it to stand! Thank you!

• You're welcome!