Gorgeous Colorful Soft Rug From Old Sweaters

$10

My mum gave me a bag of her old wool sweaters to repurpose and upcycle. Lucky for me my mum loves to wear bright colors. So I ended up with a bag of sweaters in lovely pinks, reds, and purples.

I had recently made a very popular no-sew denim rug out of waistbands (click here), so this time I thought I'd have a go at a no sew sweater rug.
The first thing I did with the wool sweaters was felt them. I did this in the washing machine.
The next thing I did was to cut the felted sweaters into strips. I used a rotary cutter and board for this (click here). My strips were about 15mm in width and as long as I could make them.

It is important that the strips of felt are all the same width, however, the lengths can vary. You can cut thinner strips to get more lengths of wool out of your sweaters. The width of the strips will determine how thick the finished rug is.
Once you have cut up all your sweaters you can start making the rug. I used between 4-5 sweaters for my rug. The number you need will depend on the size of the sweaters you use to start with and how thick you cut the strips.
To start with I pasted one side of a felt strip with fabric glue and rolled it up. I then added another strip. You continue adding strips of felt to make a coiled mat. You can use pins to keep the ends in place as the glue dries.

It's a bit like quilling you do with paper.
I made several of these coiled mats in different shapes and sizes.
Once you have as many coiled mats as you want you can join them together.
I used a glue gun for this as the glue dries quicker than fabric glue so it is more likely to hold its shape.

I made small coiled mats to fill in the little gaps between the bigger mats.
To finish off I had more stips of felt around all the mats to bring them together.
This isn't a quick craft but, the rug can be made over time and you can add to it later to make it even bigger.

There are more details on my blog.

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Charlene
    Charlene

How do you clean these rugs so they keep their shape?

• Freya
    Freya

how do you clean it? I assume since it is glued you can't wash it, right? But it looks very nice :-)

• Nancy
    Nancy

I'm confused. Why are we talking about felt! I thought we were using sweaters!

• Nancy
      Nancy

Thanks Paula and Claire! I appreciate your explanations.