From Scraps to Suds

40K Views
We are remodeling our kitchen. Yea! Our old stove was a drop-in unit, so it had wood trim in the front that matched my cabinets. Ok, I am one those, probably the same as you, who always thinks I can make things myself, rather than buy them. Right? I saw a laundry sign on a Pottery Barn web-site that I really liked. I didn’t want white like theirs or a vertical sign but a horizontal one, I knew I did want a sign that read ”Laundry”. I thought about the scraps from the stove and hmmm... I can use a piece of that wood to make a laundry sign. We have also been working in our laundry room and I was all into decorating the walls. I will post more about the kitchen and laundry room redos later.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Medium
  • from scraps to suds
Farewell old drop-in stove.
  • from scraps to suds
Unit removed and several pieces of wood scraps piled on floor.

I choose this piece of wood.
  • from scraps to suds
Decisions, decisions, should I stencil the word, laundry, or use the pre- made letters?
  • from scraps to suds
First, I painted the piece of wood with white, acrylic paint using a sponge brush. I did not paint the sides, I wanted to leave them stained. On the back I wrote the date and info about the piece of wood. After all, it has been in our home since the beginning. That’s just sentimental ole’ me.
  • from scraps to suds
Next, after the paint dried, I turned the wood over to see where to begin stenciling and to check my spacing of the letters.
  • from scraps to suds
I placed the stencil on the wood and outlined the letters for my “Laundry” sign. I used Tech Tools Stencils and a pencil to outline the letters.
  • from scraps to suds
In order to get all of the letters on the wood, I had to stagger the letters. I like the staggered look better than the straight line look. I think it is more of a farmhouse feel.
  • from scraps to suds
Now, I am ready to paint. I used black acraylic paint and a small paint brush to fill in the outline of the letters. As always, my assistant is close by checking things out.
  • from scraps to suds
First letter filled in, I like the look so far.
  • from scraps to suds
Half way finished with the lettering...
  • from scraps to suds
Painting of the letters is complete. Just waiting on the paint to dry so I can shabby her up.
  • from scraps to suds
After the paint dried I used a piece of cloth and spread Valspar Antiquing Glaze over the entire piece of wood.
  • from scraps to suds
Once the glaze was dry, I used a piece of sand paper and scuffed up the sides and went over the black lettering to give it a weathered look.
  • from scraps to suds
I used Command Velcro Strips to attach my Pottery Barn, knock off sign to the wall. I love it! Best of all, I didn’t have to purchase any supplies. I had everything I needed already in my supplies. If you were to make this from scratch it would be about $20.00 to $25.00.
  • from scraps to suds
Here is the sign hanging in her new home. She just moved from the kitchen to the laundry room...hence Scraps to Suds.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 30, 2018 11:52 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.