Faux Flagstone Patio

$50

My sister has a plain, cement slab patio in her backyard and she wanted to give it a new look. She loves flagstone but that wasn't in her budget so I gave her the next best thing - faux flagstone!

Her patio is approximately 10'x6' so it isn't huge but big enough to sit comfortably and enjoy an alfresco dinner.

I began by removing all of the furniture from the patio and power washed away the years of grime. You don't realize how dirty something is until you've power washed it.

After the patio dried, I used Fast Prep by Valspar to deep clean and etch the surface of the patio. This is really important step to ensure whatever you are applying to the surface can't be removed easily.

I scrubbed the surface using a stiff brush and then rinsed it with plain water.

Fast Prep is a caustic substance so make sure your legs and arms are covered and wear boots.

Once the patio was completely clean and dry, it was time to make our faux flagstone.

I used Concrete Walk Maker as my stencil. You can find this in the concrete aisle of Lowe's or Home Depot.

A- Before I started to paint, I laid a piece of scrap cardboard along the edge of the patio so if there was any over spray, it wouldn't get onto the house or doors.

B-I laid the Walk Maker flat onto the patio. (This is the correct side, not as shown in picture A)

C-I began to paint inside each of the blocks. I used five different colors of Krylon Colormaxx Indoor/Outdoor paint in either a matte or satin finish. The colors I used were: Coffee Bean, Pebble, Ivory, Brown Boots, and Leather Brown. I tired not to have two of the same colors beside each other.

D-The is what it looked like once I removed the stencil.

If you've ever looked closely at a stone, it isn't one, flat color. It's many colors together so to achieve the faux flagstone look:

A-Place the stencil onto the surface

B-Paint the entire stencil with one color, making sure you spray around the edges. First color - Pebble

C-Now add another color lightly spraying back and forth. Second color-Leather Brown.

D-Add a third color - Brown Boots

E-Add a fourth color - Coffee Bean

F-And there is your faux flagstone.

The secret is not to spray directly down but tilt the can so you're spraying over the top. That way you won't have intense spots of spray. This does take a little practice so you might want to try on a piece of paper first.

Once all of the stenciling was complete, I sealed the concrete with Valspar Protective Sealer. It's very easy to use, applying it with a paint roller.

I allowed the sealer to dry for 12 hours before putting the furniture back in place.

My sister loves her new patio and can't wait to spend her summer nights outside.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Candy Williams Homan

Do you think this would work well on concrete pool patio w/lots of water, heat and direct sunlight? Maybe using concrete paint instead of spray?

• Allie

You did a nice job. Do you think this would look nice if the concrete is not smooth?

• Miriam W.

I followed all the instructions and I am pleased how it turned out!

• Dani

great idea... loved how it turned out.. thanks for sharing.

• Bobbi

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼😃