Pat S
Pat S
  • Titusville, FL

Not Happy With Chalky Furniture Paint

This is just my opinion, and I am not saying this against any product, it just isn't for me.
I have heard so much hype over all the chalky furniture paints and finally broke down and tried it. I am not happy with it. To me, I could have done better in less time, with less expense and less frustration if I just used a primer, because that's what it looks like to me. A jar that was supposed to be enough to cover the whole piece, didn't.
I will stick to my acrylic based paints and distress them... I'll post when done with my Mackenzie Childs/Prague Inspired China Closet.
8 oz. not enough
8 oz. not enough
this is after a full 8 ounces.... the very bottom and the top and side against the wall is not painted.
not happy with chalky furniture paint, painted furniture
this is not what I expected after numerous coats of paint.
New Inspiration
New Inspiration
I was sick about it... literally. It takes my energy and becomes painful standing there for the day trying to get a piece this size covered. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to go for a Mackenzie Childs and my painting from Prague "look".
Painted the back with one coat of yellow and started painting my checks...
Pat S

• Mimi

I have been contemplating a chalk paint/wax treatment for an old dry sink but I was having my doubts. I want to put it in my entry, so I don't want it to look "amateurish." Your comments are refreshingly honest and I appreciate those of others who have used various "hacks" to make the chalk paint behave the way they have been led to expect it would. I'm going to re-think this and possibly try a chalk paint/wax finish on a smaller item in order to "get my feet wet" and understand what this finish is all about. Thanks for being so honest about your experience.

Anybody out there like me who tried it despite misgivings and came out with a happy ending? Would love to hear about it!
    • Cheryl Rambo

I tried chalk point on an old dresser. It didn't hide the color underneath as I thought it would. Had to use 3 coats. I used quart for the dresser. Thank goodness the can had been opened so I got it for 50% off. Bought another can at full price to finish the headboard. I found it dried too fast for me to correct mistakes. Had to go with a shabby chic finish. It does look pretty good like that. When I found 2 end table son Letgo, I used regular latex paint, did a shabby finish on that too. Could not tell the difference. Latex was easier for me to work with and didn't require a separate wax/finish. I think it was a waste of time and money. JMHO.

• Mgm6283665

I painted an old dresser with chalk paint and I really like it. I did not distress it like a lot of people like to do with the paint. It was so easy to use.

• Darlene Reaves

I was thrilled to come across your post .I have a old dresser that's been prepped and ready for days while I ponder on the whole chalk paint idea and after spinning the last hour going over the steps it hit me I could do better with my acrylics