Not Happy With Chalky Furniture Paint

This is just my opinion, and I am not saying this against any product, it just isn't for me.
I have heard so much hype over all the chalky furniture paints and finally broke down and tried it. I am not happy with it. To me, I could have done better in less time, with less expense and less frustration if I just used a primer, because that's what it looks like to me. A jar that was supposed to be enough to cover the whole piece, didn't.
I will stick to my acrylic based paints and distress them... I'll post when done with my Mackenzie Childs/Prague Inspired China Closet.
8 oz. not enough
this is after a full 8 ounces.... the very bottom and the top and side against the wall is not painted.
this is not what I expected after numerous coats of paint.
New Inspiration
I was sick about it... literally. It takes my energy and becomes painful standing there for the day trying to get a piece this size covered. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to go for a Mackenzie Childs and my painting from Prague "look".
Painted the back with one coat of yellow and started painting my checks...

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Pat S

• Mimi
    Mimi

I have been contemplating a chalk paint/wax treatment for an old dry sink but I was having my doubts. I want to put it in my entry, so I don't want it to look "amateurish." Your comments are refreshingly honest and I appreciate those of others who have used various "hacks" to make the chalk paint behave the way they have been led to expect it would. I'm going to re-think this and possibly try a chalk paint/wax finish on a smaller item in order to "get my feet wet" and understand what this finish is all about. Thanks for being so honest about your experience.

Anybody out there like me who tried it despite misgivings and came out with a happy ending? Would love to hear about it!
    • Cheryl Rambo
      Cheryl Rambo

I tried chalk point on an old dresser. It didn't hide the color underneath as I thought it would. Had to use 3 coats. I used quart for the dresser. Thank goodness the can had been opened so I got it for 50% off. Bought another can at full price to finish the headboard. I found it dried too fast for me to correct mistakes. Had to go with a shabby chic finish. It does look pretty good like that. When I found 2 end table son Letgo, I used regular latex paint, did a shabby finish on that too. Could not tell the difference. Latex was easier for me to work with and didn't require a separate wax/finish. I think it was a waste of time and money. JMHO.

• Melissa S
    Melissa S

I am NOT a fan of the chalk paint craze. I find it leaves a rough finish that does not feel either professional or actually “aged”. I have found that my best results come from properly prepping the piece (cleaning and sanding), a good coat of primer (Zinsser is my fav.) and then a couple of coats of good quality latex paint (not flat) very light sand g between coats.

• Katherine
    Katherine

I’ve painted furniture with both. Chalk paint’s finish isn’t sturdy enough to hold up to actual use. I’m using acrylic paint from now on as well.