Susan K Mullins
Susan K Mullins
  • Tutorial Team
  • Ardmore, AL

More Seating Please

$25

Our family loves to spend time together outside grilling and playing games. With my growing family of grandchildren and their friends, I am always on the look out for extra outside seating and tables. I kinda like the saying “never buy new” on some things. I happen to discover a piece, at a yard sale that we could use as a seat or as a side table. It was a solid wood bench/table. The piece was in fair
more seating please
You can see in the picture that the piece had spent time in the weather without any protection.
more seating please
I began by throughly washing the entire piece with warm water. It was very dirty under the bottom.
more seating please
After I cleaned the piece well, I let it dry. Next, I sanded the piece to remove as much of the old varnish as possible. I sanded until it was smooth to the touch of running my hand across the top.
more seating please
I added stain with an old rag to even out the color of the wood. I sketched a flower in my sketch book, before I began painting, to help determine the size I needed. Then i began to paint a flower on one side.
more seating please
I used yellow acrylic paint to paint the flower.
Hmmm...still working on the flower
more seating please
I added black to the center of the flower and a green stem.
more seating please
I added in detail on the petals, on the stem and leaves.
more seating please
I used a white paint pen to write the word “Rejoice” over the top of the flower. Then I added three coats of polyurethane for protection from the sun and weather.
more seating please
We use the bench/table very often. when we are not using it for sitting or holding our food and or drinks, or as a foot stool after yard work, I use it for decoration.
more seating please
I think we have gotten our money’s worth out of this piece. It is always being used by someone for something. I almost fell out when someone who was working on our home, used the piece to saw a piece of wood. He did damage the top in a couples of places, but nothing we can’t fix.
PS Can I just say Big Dummy, really!!!!
more seating please
Here it is being used by one of the grands while she lays out, to hold her ice water.
more seating please
This is what i like to do after working outside while sitting in the swing. Please excuse my dirty yard, painting, whatever shoes in this picture, but I bet you have a pair similar to them.
more seating please
This is a picture of when we used the bench for extra seating. My selfie- taking grands didn’t want to be in this picture...go figure. To sum it all up, we have greatly enjoyed our extra seating piece.
Steps:
Clean
Sand
Stain
Paint A design if desired
Apply several coats of polyurethane
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 08, 2018 10:24 PM - More info

• Har8573180

How did you make it level? It looked like the one leg was way shorter then the other one.

• Susan K Mullins

It was level when I bought it. It could be that the center piece of wood gives the illusion that the sides are not the same length. The left leg has a cleaning rag laying on the top. I just noticed it when I looked back at the pictures.