More Seating Please

7.3K Views
Our family loves to spend time together outside grilling and playing games. With my growing family of grandchildren and their friends, I am always on the look out for extra outside seating and tables. I kinda like the saying “never buy new” on some things. I happen to discover a piece, at a yard sale that we could use as a seat or as a side table. It was a solid wood bench/table. The piece was in fair condition, it just needed a little TLC.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $25Difficulty: Medium
  • more seating please
You can see in the picture that the piece had spent time in the weather without any protection.
  • more seating please
I began by throughly washing the entire piece with warm water. It was very dirty under the bottom.
  • more seating please
After I cleaned the piece well, I let it dry. Next, I sanded the piece to remove as much of the old varnish as possible. I sanded until it was smooth to the touch of running my hand across the top.
  • more seating please
I added stain with an old rag to even out the color of the wood. I sketched a flower in my sketch book, before I began painting, to help determine the size I needed. Then i began to paint a flower on one side.
  • more seating please
I used yellow acrylic paint to paint the flower.
Hmmm...still working on the flower
  • more seating please
I added black to the center of the flower and a green stem.
  • more seating please
I added in detail on the petals, on the stem and leaves.
  • more seating please
I used a white paint pen to write the word “Rejoice” over the top of the flower. Then I added three coats of polyurethane for protection from the sun and weather.
  • more seating please
We use the bench/table very often. when we are not using it for sitting or holding our food and or drinks, or as a foot stool after yard work, I use it for decoration.
  • more seating please
I think we have gotten our money’s worth out of this piece. It is always being used by someone for something. I almost fell out when someone who was working on our home, used the piece to saw a piece of wood. He did damage the top in a couples of places, but nothing we can’t fix.
PS Can I just say Big Dummy, really!!!!
  • more seating please
Here it is being used by one of the grands while she lays out, to hold her ice water.
  • more seating please
This is what i like to do after working outside while sitting in the swing. Please excuse my dirty yard, painting, whatever shoes in this picture, but I bet you have a pair similar to them.
  • more seating please
This is a picture of when we used the bench for extra seating. My selfie- taking grands didn’t want to be in this picture...go figure. To sum it all up, we have greatly enjoyed our extra seating piece.
Steps:
Clean
Sand
Stain
Paint A design if desired
Apply several coats of polyurethane

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 13, 2018 12:00 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.