More Seating Please

$25

Our family loves to spend time together outside grilling and playing games. With my growing family of grandchildren and their friends, I am always on the look out for extra outside seating and tables. I kinda like the saying “never buy new” on some things. I happen to discover a piece, at a yard sale that we could use as a seat or as a side table. It was a solid wood bench/table. The piece was in fair condition, it just needed a little TLC.
You can see in the picture that the piece had spent time in the weather without any protection.
I began by throughly washing the entire piece with warm water. It was very dirty under the bottom.
After I cleaned the piece well, I let it dry. Next, I sanded the piece to remove as much of the old varnish as possible. I sanded until it was smooth to the touch of running my hand across the top.
I added stain with an old rag to even out the color of the wood. I sketched a flower in my sketch book, before I began painting, to help determine the size I needed. Then i began to paint a flower on one side.
I used yellow acrylic paint to paint the flower.
Hmmm...still working on the flower
I added black to the center of the flower and a green stem.
I added in detail on the petals, on the stem and leaves.
I used a white paint pen to write the word “Rejoice” over the top of the flower. Then I added three coats of polyurethane for protection from the sun and weather.
We use the bench/table very often. when we are not using it for sitting or holding our food and or drinks, or as a foot stool after yard work, I use it for decoration.
I think we have gotten our money’s worth out of this piece. It is always being used by someone for something. I almost fell out when someone who was working on our home, used the piece to saw a piece of wood. He did damage the top in a couples of places, but nothing we can’t fix.
PS Can I just say Big Dummy, really!!!!
Here it is being used by one of the grands while she lays out, to hold her ice water.
This is what i like to do after working outside while sitting in the swing. Please excuse my dirty yard, painting, whatever shoes in this picture, but I bet you have a pair similar to them.
This is a picture of when we used the bench for extra seating. My selfie- taking grands didn’t want to be in this picture...go figure. To sum it all up, we have greatly enjoyed our extra seating piece.
Steps:
Clean
Sand
Stain
Paint A design if desired
Apply several coats of polyurethane

• C

How did you make it level? It looked like the one leg was way shorter then the other one.

• Susan K Mullins

It was level when I bought it. It could be that the center piece of wood gives the illusion that the sides are not the same length. The left leg has a cleaning rag laying on the top. I just noticed it when I looked back at the pictures.

• Joanie

It is just the cutest little stool and your art adds that Xtra sweetness......

• Susan K Mullins

Thank you so much for your compliment and for taking the time to comment! 😊