File Cabinet Makeover

$20

In my attempt to be more digital and not have files and files of paperwork, I have reduced such by 2 drawers! Hey, it’s a start. what was once an office had become a total junk room. Once you get a laptop you never go back! So I turned the office/junk room into a craft room which I will cover in another post. I emptied files and other useless paperwork into temporary containers (cardboard boxes) and put file cabinet in garage. Still having some Important papers, I was on the search for alternative options.
file cabinet makeover
Original. In garage holding power tools. I’ve seen these turned into large planters, so his days are numbered.
file cabinet makeover
My find! Drawers worked well, she just needed some makeup.
file cabinet makeover
Unfortunately I didn’t take any in between pics. I just cleaned her up and dressed her in 2 coats of white chalk paint. The front trim pieces I painted gold with a small artist brush.
I had this swirly stencil which I thought went well with the handles. (These handles I had from another project, I just painted them gold.)
Before I go on, let me say I did wax the chalk paint before I did the stencils. Just clear wax all over the body but on the front I added a little tiny glitter to the wax. As RJ (my other half) would say,”you always gotta mess with stuff”.
I let it sit on back porch for a week or so before I did stencils. Instead of using a stenciling brush, I used a thin, gold paint pen. Worked pretty good. Couple of mistakes, but that’s why I waxed first in case I made a stencil error, easy to wipe off.
file cabinet makeover
still needing “something “ I painted the sides of drawers pink. You don’t see it unless you open the drawer. I don’t remember why I went with pink, but looking at these pics I might go with something else like ummm....gold .

• Jamie

What did you use the cabinet for after the makeover ?

• Valerie jones

I’m still using as a filing cabinet, it’s on my craft room with my printer on top, it just looks way cuter now!!

• Margarite

What is the item you painted pink? I have an old file cabinet, but would like to use it as a two drawer night stand.