Room Divider Makeover

$38

A Room Divider - you have heard of these, but perhaps you have never considered them to be an alternative when it comes to using them outside?

We live in a villa in Spain and have a swimming pool and an outside shower, but we don't want to look at the shower all the time when we are chilling. So, I was wondering what we could use to hide it as and when we want. I then came up with the idea of using a Room

room divider makeover
room divider makeover
Anyway, needless to say, it got damaged in the fact that the rain washed away all of the print!.  I decided to re-paint it in Rustoleum Winter Grey. First of all I cleaned the Room Divider with water and washing liquid and let it dry (approx. 1 hour).

I already had some of this paint leftover from another job so it cost me nothing. I put two coats on and left overnight.
room divider makeover
I have a large table and placed a piece of 'oil cloth' on the table to protect it and placed the Divider on it.  I then placed the stencil on the Divider and taped it with some Blue Masking Tape, which I already had from previous jobs
room divider makeover, Rustoleum Chalk Paint Winter Grey
Rustoleum Chalk Paint Winter Grey
The next day I completed the stencilling which I purchased The Foliate Damask Wall Stencil from the Royal Design Studio - Standard Size which is 18.75" x 18.75" and put that on the Divider. It was very easy to do.
room divider makeover
I used a paper plate and put some Kitchen Roll on it and put small amounts of paint at a time on top of the kitchen roll to enable me to keep dabbing in the paint and then dab some off on the kitchen roll - you don't want to have too much paint on your stencilling brush as it might leak underneath and spoil your stencilling.  I used a darker grey for the stencilling which was an Artist's Acrylic Paint, which you can purchase at most craft stores or art shops.  Again, I already had this in my 'stash'.

I would always recommend proper stencil brushes - see below
room divider makeover
You could also use a 'pouncer', a roller or a sponge if you prefer
room divider makeover
A few photos of the 'Before' and 'After' of the Room Divider in place around the shower/pool area.
room divider makeover, Before
Before
room divider makeover, Before
Before
room divider makeover
room divider makeover
room divider makeover
I Thought you might also like to see the pool lit up at night. A couple of more photos - one in the evening and one in the day. We had three lights put into the ground when we had the new pool wall constructed and a couple of weeks ago I purchased 3 'window like' mirrors and we placed them above each light.  The lights come on with different colours and shine on each 'window' (mirror) - I think it looks very effective. I hope you do too?
room divider makeover, Pool Area in the Day
Pool Area in the Day
room divider makeover, Pool Area at Night
Pool Area at Night
room divider makeover
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of July 30, 2018 11:06 PM - More info