Jaime LaPlant
Jaime LaPlant
  • Menominee, MI

Make a Bird Feeder for Under $2

$2

I have been trying to attract more birds. I built and put up some more birdhouses, added a bird bath, and wanted to add some more feeders. I found this quick and easy plan on Ana White's website. http://ana-white.com/2013/04/plans/kids-kit-project-2-cedar-birdfeeder
This plan uses just one 6 foot cedar fence picket and took me less than an hour to build. I bought my picket from Menards when it was on sale for $1.18. That's not a bad price for a bird feeder!
You can find more details about this build on my blog. http://jaimeofalltrades.blogspot.com/2014/05/make-bird-feeder-for-under-2.html
make a bird feeder for under 2, crafts, woodworking projects
Needed Supplies:
6' cedar picket at 5 1/2" wide. The thickness may vary from board to board. (My plan is based off a 5/8" thickness.)
Drill
Saw
1 1/4" nails, suitable for exterior use.
Wood glue, suitable for exterior use.
Screw Eye or Post
Step 1: Using a 6' x 5 1/2" cedar picket, cut the following pieces:
1 at 7" (bottom)
2 at 7 3/4" cut one end to a gable point at 45 degrees. (sides)
2 at 10" (roof)
2 rails - the length will vary depending upon the thickness of your board. The way to calculate the length is found in step 6.
Step 2: Connect the bottom to the sides. I used wood glue for the initial connection. Then I pre-drilled nail holes and used galvanized 3D 1 1/4" nails that I had left over from another project. If you are going for looks, you may want to use stainless steel finishing nails.
Step 3: Measure the thickness of your board. Cut the thickness of your board off one of the roof board edges. My board was 5/8" thick, so I cut 5/8" off of one board so it measured 10" x 4 7/8".
Step 4: Connect the shorter roof to the sides.
Step 5: Connect the longer roof to the sides and the top of the other roof.
Step 6: Measure the length from the outer edge of the side to the outer edge of the other side. This should be the length of the bottom plus the width of the two boards. In my case, it was 7" + 5/8" + 5/8" = 8 1/4".
Step 7: Cut the cedar picket at the length that you just measured. Then cut two 1 1/2" widths out of this board. You will have 2 pieces at 8 1/4" x 1 1/2" (side rails). You can discard the leftover piece.
Step 8: Connect the side rails to the bottom and the sides.
Step 9: Attach a screw eye if you want to hang it. If you prefer, you could attach it to the top of a post.
Step 10: Add bird food and wait for the birds to come.
Jaime LaPlant

• RDO

Thanx for your posting. For the last year, I've done battle with Chester, the most cunning little chipmunk in all the high Sierras! Twice in the last 24hrs the little booger has raided my tube feeder twice by unhooking it from its mount and dropping it to the ground. I've copied your simple design and knocked it out in about 1 hour. Since it is much heavier than the old plastic tube, Chester will have to use a sky crane to drop it. Will see what the little critter comes up with. The only thing I modified was adding 3 - 3" dowels to each of the sides to create perches for the little birdies

Thanx Again. Your Friend in Combat
    RDO
    • Jaime LaPlant

Good luck! I still have not figured out how to defeat chipmunks and squirrels!

• on Sep 17, 2018

Cool)