Closet Shelving

$75

My craft room closet was totally unorganized. I wasn't maximizing the space in it at all. I only had one shelf across the top of the closet and the clothing bar. Since I wasn't using this closet for clothing (do you have a storage closet like this in your home??) we decided to build some closet shelving so we had more places to store our stuff!

Now, I could have went out to IKEA or Walmart and bought a flimsy $20 bookshelf but I wanted something STURDY and in a CUSTOM size so I built my own! By getting your wood cut IN THE STORE you only have to do some drilling to build your shelves! A drill is the #1 thing any DIYer should have on hand! So YOU CAN do this project!

I did have a few extra tools that made this EASIER but you don't HAVE to have. One was the corner clamps! We were documenting this build ( so it was helpful to use clamps in leiu of an extra set of hands. This is TWELVE BUCKS at Harbor Freight! So worth it!

We also used a Kreg Jig to make pocket holes. You *can* drill directly into the sides to assemble, but I really like the look of pocket holes. Really it's the non-existent look of these since they are hidden! I've used this handy jig on countless projects.

1. Drill your holes on the short ends of each of the shelves – these will be used to attach into the tall vertical side pieces.
  2. Mark the center of one of your shelf boards and use the middle piece to insert into the bottom and center shelf to create an upper case "I". (This is where that corner clamp really comes in handy!!)
  3. You then attach this "I" into each of the exterior sides.
  4. Attach the top shelf to the very top of the side pieces. *Make sure you put the pocket holes on the top so you won't see them*
  5. Once you've got the skeleton of the shelves built, measure and cut your small shelves. (Size may vary so be sure to measure here! This is the only cutting you should have to do if you get she plywood sheet cut in store!!)

Lastly, if you want your shelves adjustable, you'll need a shelf pin jig. This helps you evenly space the holes for shelf pins!

For the cut list for these closet shelves, please visit my blog!

Amber Oliver