Sal3170064
Sal3170064
  • Hometalk Helper
  • United Kingdom

Boring Mirror to Garden Feature

$8

I had just took down a boring mirror as I was replacing it, with another.
I didn't want to throw it away, so I thought it would look good in the garden. I had just the spot on a fence outside my back door.
 I am editing this post as I have just come home to a mess. There are glass stones on the ground, so the hot melt glue is not suitable for outside use. We have had a heat wave then a rain storm and it took its toll on my mirror. Use glue recommend by Hometalkers that have posted a reply on this post. Lesson learned. Use fix it crystal sealent instead of where stated hot glue. This works as had used this to redo and it is holding the stones in place.
Boring plain mirror with other supplies
I found some green glass stones that I had in a vase. I thought these would look good around the edge.
I wasn't sure if I had enough, so
I first laid them around the edge to see if I had enough. I did.
I put a strip of glue then added the stones.
When I had done this I used hot melt glue to stick them. I made a strip of glue, then added the glass stones, no more than five at a time, otherwise the glue hardens too quick.
Once I had stuck them around the edge. I felt it was still too plain.
I decided to add more glass stones to shape the corners. At this point I added other colours too.
The corners
I had gaps.
So I took an old beaded tassel and used the seed beads to fill between the stones. I used the hot melt glue again.
I then wiped the stones clean and to check for movement. I found some of the glass had come loose. Note the five stuck at a time rule.
The finished mirror.
I hung it up on the fence using the existing fixings. I also hung a bought mirror above. I might add some more mirrors at a later date.

• Nelda Kinsey Gillihan

My house is built on a cement slab. How would I put a wooden floor in the closet?

• Sal3170064

I don't know. But those click system might do it. That's what we have in our lounge and that's cement underneath. Not sure of the name though.

• Donna Radtke

Have wanted to do this but the place to put it is a south facing wall. Maybe I'm being silly but….can a fire start from the mirror reflection of sunlight?

LOVE what you did!!

• Carol Cole

Beautiful piece but why not use it in the house. I usually do not like those little baubles but the look good on this.

• Sal3170064

I wanted it outside. I have other creative mirrors in my house. This style does not suit inside.

• Kathy

This is LOVELY. Just keep in mind, that once a year the birds in your garden will try to fly through it! You might think about clouding it in some way to protect the birds. The males will also spend their energy 'fighting' with the other male bird in the mirror. Again, you might think about clouding the mirror a bit for the birds' sake. :) (I speak from experience!)

• Sal3170064

Don't worry. Where it is situated the birds can't fly. It's a metre from my back door. Houses all around.